Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Gratitude: what are you thankful for today

Comments

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Teach51 said:
    I'm grateful for red velvet coffee, so good!
    Is that a brand or type of coffee Butterfly? I am curious, I loooove all coffee though my brand is Taster's Choice Barista.
    https://ericasrecipes.com/red-velvet-latte/#:~:text=Red Velvet Latte is a,be my second fancy coffee.

looked it up, I would try that definitely.☕
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I'm grateful that the dog my mom got trusts me. He's somewhat timid and we think he has been abused before, so him following me and finding comfort in me is very sweet.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Enjoy the dog Hylian! I once adopted a dog who was very traumatized due to abuse and abandonment and never fully recovered from that. She was my friend and roommate for 15 years. We  healed each other in a sense. I miss her terribly. Honey was almost a canine replica of me, also a redhead and doggy CPTSD.
    Teach51 said:
    Enjoy the dog Hylian! I once adopted a dog who was very traumatized due to abuse and abandonment and never fully recovered from that. She was my friend and roommate for 15 years. We  healed each other in a sense. I miss her terribly. Honey was almost a canine replica of me, also a redhead and doggy CPTSD.
    The dog flinches a lot and constantly wants reassurance. He also snaps if you touch the tags on his collar, which I think is because the metal clanking sounds like a prong collar or something is being put on him.

I'm very surprised he's as calm as he is, but the lady who had to rehome him did say that he's come a long way in the 6 months she had him.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Hylian said:
    I'm grateful that the dog my mom got trusts me. He's somewhat timid and we think he has been abused before, so him following me and finding comfort in me is very sweet.
    You have a new dog ❤

Sad to hear he wasn't treated well in the past, but it sounds like he's in the right place now. How is he adapting and gets along with your other pets? What kind of dog is it?
    edited May 2021
    Bender said:
    Hylian said:
    You have a new dog ❤

Sad to hear he wasn't treated well in the past, but it sounds like he's in the right place now. How is he adapting and gets along with your other pets? What kind of dog is it?
    He is adapting okay so far, and he mainly ignores the cats.

He's supposed to be a pitbull/Labrador/Australian shepherd mix. If he stands up on his hind legs he's basically as big as I am. lol
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Oh cool Hylian, dogs are the business.

Grateful to wake up cosy and comfortable.
  • A good day. No, or minimal, brain fog. Felt centered. Able to work on home and work projects.  None of that overwhelming feeling of total exhaustion. What a blessed day. 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    I am so grateful for all the love that was showered on me by so many wonderful people and as a friend said today : Don't forget that you are loved by all the right people- and those that don't.....well they are the wrong people. It was a very special day with many bouquets and blessings and I am very very happy at this moment.♥
  • blazingstarblazingstar Citizen
    edited May 2021
    Little bitty borage seedlings have popped up. 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Little bitty borage seedlings have popped up. 
    Brilliant!
  • RAIN! 
    Little Blazing star seedlings are peeping through the soil in the rockery. 😉
  • A water's edge view of the Water-Spider Orchid blooming. It is the only orchid that actually grows in water. I have found it each year around our pond, but frequently in different places. I want to protect it, but it resists domestication. 

It is not a flamboyant orchid. 
    plants.ifas.ufl.edu

But it is an orchid and I like it. 
    I love it! It looks like it sounds, we have some marsh/spotted orchids here, quite pretty even if not rare.
    I'm glad I could nap today.
  • blazingstarblazingstar Citizen
    edited June 2021
    And today, paddling in my little tiny pond, I came across four more water spider orchid plants, two blooming. Growing on a floating log. It makes my heart sing. 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Awesome Blaze!
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
    A man yelled at me today and I yelled right back and told him not to interrupt me when I am speaking because it is rude and disrespectful. I advised him to learn to listen. He shut up. I was shocked, this never happens. I had no fight or flight response, mind freeze or anxiety after. My SSP treatment for CPTSD is working and it is no less than a miracle. I have hours when the hyper-vigilance relaxes and I am calm. It is a very strange feeling not to be hyped up and on guard constantly but it is progress. I can't remember a time in my whole life when I didn't shrink in fear when yelled at. I am usually only able to respond a few days after such a confrontation and then only by texting.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    That's great news, Teach, I'm so happy for you ❣
  • Me, too! It's a wonderful feeling to reach across the fear and find the other side. 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
    I am beginning to have more energy, think more clearly, stick to a simple plan of a few tasks and follow it through. I am bewildered to be so focused and relaxed, it is a new sensation so late in life. I didn't believe that putting on headphones and listening to sounds that reprogram my neurological responses would recalibrate my neurological memories of trauma. The listening triggers a strong physiological response in my cardio- respiratory and sensory systems while listening. I do trust my therapist who is not charging me for the treatment because I am participating in a trial and agreed to be filmed to aid research. It is a bit scary to feel so focused and self-aware but I could cry with happiness that internal struggle has been calmed for a little while at least. I don't know if I have much longer to live but I am grateful for a short respite from the anxiety and fear, and would rather end with a bang than a whimper.

Note : My therapist has had very good results using SSP with his ASD clients. Here is a little about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_kl9fu0F88
  • BenderBender Citizen
    That sounds like quite a breakthrough, Teach, I'm so happy for you! 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Thank you so much Bender. Sometimes it is darkest before dawn. I am so grateful that I did not give in to the voices in my head that say this is as good as it gets. 
  • So happy to hear your blessed experience. 
  • Mangos are ripening. I love mangos!
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Mangos are ripening. I love mangos!
    I love mangos too, I also love using them in salads, salsas and chutneys. One of the variations I make is always a huge hit at barbecues, there's never enough of it.

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited June 2021
    I'm very grateful for my family and how supportive they have been.

My son, who's still a teenager, has been sending me pictures every day for almost two months to cheer me up.

Today he went to the Aquarium to take pics of jellyfish because he knows I like them a lot. And yes, they really cheered me up☺

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
     Great pics! I am happy for you Bender, when do you get to go home?
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    I am grateful for my air conditioner, it's hot.🔥
    Mangos are so good, and those pictures are really beautiful!

It's also super hot here, too. It's supposed to get to 111°F/44°C tomorrow, but the humidity is lowering which might help it be more bearable.