Tips on how to make online friends?

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
Or just general tips for making friends?

I haven't talked to a lot of new people 1-on-1 since I met my current friend 2-3 years ago, so now it's really hard to. I don't know what to talk about to keep the person interested in talking to me, besides for asking them questions about their interests. I get self conscious because I notice that all I am able to do is ask questions, and then ask more questions based on their response...

Overall I dont really know how to go about talking to people I don't know well, and I would like some tips on how to do better at that?

I also specified online friends in the title because I'm not really allowed to go anywhere, so I don't get to talk to a lot of people irl. General friend making advice is welcome, but if you have online-friend specific advice or experiences to share that is even better.

Comments

• kraftiekortiekraftiekortie Citizen
    edited March 22
    Just do what you've been doing. You certainly made some decent amount of friends in both forums. One of the keys is to not get too upset if somebody says something that doesn't rub you the right way. Don't treat that statement like it's a drastic thing. Consider the other things that person said that wasn't so bad.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Just do what you've been doing. You certainly made some decent amount of friends in both forums. One of the keys is to not get too upset if somebody says something that doesn't rub you the right way. Don't treat that statement like it's a drastic thing. Consider the other things that person said that wasn't so bad.
    I agree that I've made some friends on the forums I'm on and can converse on threads fine, though I still have some issues with 1-on-1 conversation. I would like to be able to have better private conversations with people, especially since most people my age prefer to talk in "DMs". The people I know on forums are cool and I like talking to them, but I would like more friends that are closer to my age and that I can possibly talk to on Discord.