Home Life Skills

Shopping at Sainsbury's

Hope this makes sense.

Can I use a heavier bag on the receiver/weighing part at the self checkouts of Sainsbury's, such as one of those ones strong enough to sit upright on it's own so that I can put my shopping straight into it as it weighs stuff?

Sainsbury's have changed the bagging process for the self checkouts AGAIN. I know this is aimed at reducing one use plastic bags but I use my own bags anyway. The problem is I borrow their bag to put down to put my shopping on top to keep it from getting contaminated. I am OCD, this is nothing to do with Covid. Then after I've paid, I put the things into a bag I've bought with me. If there was somewhere to hang my bag (like in Tesco) then I would be able to put it straight into my own bag.

Comments

• If I’ve understood you right that should be possible, when you arrive at the till there should be an “I’m using my own bag” button (or words to that effect): press that first, then place your bag(s), or arrangement thereof, on the plate and it will recalibrate to count the resulting weight as zero for the purposes of your shop.

Hope I’ve understood. 🤞

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

When I last did it which was before covid, I don't bag until after paying as found it caused less issues.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

@Karamazov said:
    If I’ve understood you right that should be possible, when you arrive at the till there should be an “I’m using my own bag” button (or words to that effect): press that first, then place your bag(s), or arrangement thereof, on the plate and it will recalibrate to count the resulting weight as zero for the purposes of your shop.

Hope I’ve understood. 🤞

I was going to state the same, but for some reason the self-checkout in Sainsbury's always rejects my backpack. M&S is fine.

• KaramazovKaramazov Citizen
    edited December 2020

@Prometheus81 said:

@Karamazov said:
    If I’ve understood you right that should be possible, when you arrive at the till there should be an “I’m using my own bag” button (or words to that effect): press that first, then place your bag(s), or arrangement thereof, on the plate and it will recalibrate to count the resulting weight as zero for the purposes of your shop.

Hope I’ve understood. 🤞

I was going to state the same, but for some reason the self-checkout in Sainsbury's always rejects my backpack. M&S is fine.

Yes: the machines do have different sensitivities. Tesco’s ones are fine with me leaning my tool bag against the side of the plate, but Morrison’s ones can’t cope with it.

How are we all doing re: panic buying? Sister-in-law in South London reports everywhere there has been stripped and she’s left with a side of lamb and white sliced bread for Christmas dinner, we’re going to see what we can get hold of here in the Welsh borders this afternoon. Hope we all manage to at least get some food in. 🤞

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

I didn't know the drama queens had gone panic buying again. People lead such boring lives.

• @Karamazov said:

Hope I’ve understood. 🤞

Yes, that's what I meant, and hope for. Have you done this at Sainsbury's? I don't want to buy a stand up bag unless I know it's going to work basically. I don't need it for Tesco, and everywhere else in my town is not self checkout.

• @fluffysaurus said:

@Karamazov said:

Hope I’ve understood. 🤞

Yes, that's what I meant, and hope for. Have you done this at Sainsbury's? I don't want to buy a stand up bag unless I know it's going to work basically. I don't need it for Tesco, and everywhere else in my town is not self checkout.

Yes: some years ago now (moved house), don’t recall them working any differently in essence to any of the others.

By stand up bag do you mean the thick woven shopping bags they sell in store or something else?

• Yes, that sort of thing. That is excellent to know, thank you.

• I'd prob go for something more colourful but it would be about that sort of weight. It needs to stand up nice and rigid because I won't be able to hold it up while doing the scanning part and holding the unscanned things as I don't use the baskets.

• Coolness 👍