Home General ASD

Autistic imposter syndrome

An interesting article which I can definitely relate to, and perhaps others here can too.

Then, when I did get a diagnosis of autism, the loneliness began to disappear. But what showed up in its place was a feeling, a concern, that I might not be autistic. That was a double whammy—I did not belong to the neurotypical world and maybe did not belong to the autistic world either.
'Autistic Twitter' for me has ramped up that feeling. So many claiming to have intense symptoms  while getting degrees/books published/job promotions etc.  I feel like an absolute failure in comparison to them. A failure who is perhaps not autistic, but just dysfunctional.

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I can relate to this so much, I guess for me it was exacerbated by bullies in the community that used an elitist approach to "inclusion".

I had discovered that I was autistic, but as someone on the poverty line there were mountains between me and the only option of a private diagnosis.

My lived experience made complete sense for the first time, I went through all of those reframing history moments, the clarity was truly a blissful experience.

I suspect that the basis for the exclusionary actions was largely internalised abelism and perhaps also  the human propensity to be hateful at times.

Its impact on me destroyed my new found bliss, something that wasn't hard to do, my revised sense of self was in its infancy and tremendously delicate.

I didn't have the online options available now, the adult Autistic community has developed incredibly in the last decade or so.

I slogged it out, trusting my sense of justice and my version of reality. When I seen it I supported others being targeted by the same active doubt-sowing process, I think in a way this strengthened my sense of self.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I think most folk have experienced it. Know I have felt that many a time. Still do from time to time, but less so because I'm not very public nor feel I need it to prove anything.

I wonder if those who are most vocal about their autism also do so in defence mechanism against imposter syndrome.

Especially if you have challenges you have less reason to feel like an impostor.

That is not to say that people on the spectrum cannot be successful.

I personally spend little time comparing myself to others anymore. I completely done with that phase of my life.

I'm more concerned about ASD being used in court as a defence, though as always it is complicated.

I have questioned myself. I don't think that is a bad thing, as long as you remind yourself how you got to that dx.