Home Advocacy

Disabled

2»

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    SlyFox said:
    I'm on it everyday, though I can't express myself due to work friends. 

What to you use it for?
  • SlyFoxSlyFox Citizen, Member
    reading news mostly now. i use messenger to chat with what few friends I have. 
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Teach51 said:
    I believe that social media in the main presents a "photo shopped" "touched up" pseudo reality that is all about seeking attention and has little to do with true support, real life or honesty. I learnt something a long time ago and that is to never compare myself to other people and to credit myself for my positive aspects and not focus on the deficiencies. Other people made it their life's work to negate me, I am not going to do it as well.

NB Maybe these disabled people are playing a part? We don't really know if they are who they say they are.🤔
    Well said, I couldn't agree more. I think the main culprit here is the way people use social media, not so much the autistic community itself. It's why I never use these platforms and I'm surprised that people still don't see how much smoke and mirrors are used to build these profiles.

That being said, based on observation, a lot of autistic people falsely claim to not participate in hierarchal fights and pissing contests - when some seem actually obsessed with it. With a few really rare exceptions, I don't feel comfortable with any of these self-proclaimed activists speaking for me.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I also think that becuase you are mainly exposed content you choose, and content algorithms are designed that way, I think this has been largely responsible for  the mass hysteria on both side of the political spectrum.
  • Bender said:
     With a few really rare exceptions, I don't feel comfortable with any of these self-proclaimed activists speaking for me.

What I've noticed is the very short time in which many of them go from just diagnosed to portraying themselves as 'experts' on all things to do with autism.

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    SlyFox said:

you seem to have your life in order o.O
    Maybe now but when I was your age I was smoking $500 worth of crack in a night,I bet your not doing that.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Well done you for getting back on track.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Teach51 said:
    Well done you for getting back on track.

Yes indeed ☺

• BenderBender Citizen
    Bender said:
     With a few really rare exceptions, I don't feel comfortable with any of these self-proclaimed activists speaking for me.

What I've noticed is the very short time in which many of them go from just diagnosed to portraying themselves as 'experts' on all things to do with autism.

And I also noticed that many adopt the label of "autism activist" merely as a means of self-promotion, without actually doing anything for the community.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    verity said:
    I also think that becuase you are mainly exposed content you choose, and content algorithms are designed that way, I think this has been largely responsible for  the mass hysteria on both side of the political spectrum.
    This is actually extremely important and relevant and (again) I'm surprised how many people aren't aware of it.

Too many people became so isolated from the rest of the world in their bubbles/echo chambers and you can instantly recognise them by the strange lingo they use and the complete inability to tolerate even mild or polite disagreement.

Do you happen to be familiar with Adam Curtis' documentaries?
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited July 2021
    To all the dear friends here who are lacking self-confidence, who have been belittled and negated, made a scape-goat, abused, ridiculed, manipulated or made to feel inferior, I have discovered that the only way to change this negative perception of self is from the inside. The moment you cease to believe it then it will no longer effect you. If I feel confident in who I am despite my challenges and defects then that is how others will perceive me.  You wouldn't judge others so harshly because you are amazing people, so it's time to be kinder to you and be less critical of yourself. 
    If a stranger came up to you and said: "look at that person, he is junk, worthless, useless!" You would rise up in indignation at the injustice of it, (I know you would) and defend this accused person and say no! No person is worthless junk, don't talk to him like that!!! How dare you! So.........isn't  it time we stopped saying it to ourselves?💞
    Positive self affirmations, small steps, one day at a time. I am no less deserving or valuable  than others, it's so important for me to remember that.

• I really struggle when it comes to self  affirmations. There's an almost constant feeling  that I'm useless and worthless. That's punctuated by brief episodes of fear driven hubris.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited July 2021
    I really struggle when it comes to self  affirmations. There's an almost constant feeling  that I'm useless and worthless. That's punctuated by brief episodes of fear driven hubris.
    I know the feeling.
    I do know that it's up to me to change the way I perceive myself, I am working hard to try and do that. There are many things that are difficult for me to do, simple things like concentrating when reading a book (ADD) or going to meet friends (agoraphobia) but I have many positive qualities and that is what I focus on. It's a choice, one that I make every day. 
    Self-affirmations can become a positive habit. I started with a little notebook and I would write down what I was grateful for in the morning, tiny things because I have lost so much in recent years, things that I cannot talk about yet. It has been a struggle to stay positive and keep functional.
    I would write about the smell of coffee, my warm bed, the smell of lavender soap, bird song, things like that.
    Then I would write how marvelous I am, the things I managed to deal with, soothing myself, talking to myself with love which I never had in childhood from my family. It saved my life. If I don't hold myself in high regard then that is a victory for all the bullies and people who have harmed me in the past. People can sense confidence and strength just as they can sense vulnerability and emotional fragility. 
    Positive affirmations can become second nature with enough repetition.