Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Deep and Gentle Pelvic Breathing.

DeepthoughtDeepthought Citizen
edited December 2020 in Mind and Body Wellbeing

Although there are many meditations that can be done, deep and gentle pelvic breathing is the most fundamental component of any in that it enables a calmer more healthy body, and a clearer more focused mind.

One variety of deep and gentle pelvic breathing involves imagining that the nose and mouth are as if in the centre of the chest, that the lungs are as if in the bottom of the pelvis, and with each in-breath fresh energy is being pulled up and in through the feet as if they are sucking firmly to the floor, and with each out-breath stale energy is being pushed down and out through the feet as if they are elastically rooting deeper and deeper into the earth.

In addition to this, whilst walking or running, one can also imagine that the earth is if a tread mill rolling under the feet in whichever direction one is heading, as has been found bysporting types to improve their times and distances. If you are up for this, be prepared as some people can find the ‘treadmill effect’ quite strange at first ~ so don’t go far to start with, as getting used to and accommodating for increased oxygenation and metabolism is important. As like with any new exercise practice, it really does help to start small at first and progress slowly.

Chest and pelvic centred breathing can also help to reduce the intensity, duration and regularity of meltdowns, or in my case seizures, shut-downs and lock-ins. Here follows a link to a paper on a variant of this exercise for aggressive autistic teens and their parents:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251704720_A_mindfulness-based_strategy_for_self-management_of_aggressive_behaviour_in_adolescents_with_Autism/

In terms of involving a higher state of awareness ~ most people's functional base is the Imaginal embodiment centred within the midriff ~ whilst their Imaginal awareness is projected into their head up to their eyes (like as if the driver of a car with their face pushed up to the windscreen over the steering wheel), which involves the sense of their embodiments being reduced from up to seven dimensional direct functioning status to the level of the third (see table below) ~ with the remaining four operating indirectly (as represented in standard lower case text below):

7.) Rational
6.) Sentimental
5.) Communicational
4.) Emotional
3.) IMAGINAL
2.) REPRODUCTIONAL
1.) SENSATIONAL

As such the majority of humans only really use their intestinal brain directly ~ and their cardial and cerebral brains are effectively in standby / support mode, most of the time. Plato's 'Cave Analogy' as featured in his book 'The Republic' (which was written around 375 BC) covers this experiential state of affairs very well indeed:

http://web.stanford.edu/class/ihum40/cave.pdf

As is well depicted and summarised via the following link:

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-allegory-of-the-cave-120330

Another reason for giving up on shallow diaphragmatic is that 'hypoxia' (a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply at the tissue level (Wikipedia)) is rather unhealthy for the body ~ as is discussed in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmmFn5BrCY&feature=emb_logo

And is therefore a bit unproductive for the mind ~ as is exemplified in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_MI9UiYwJA&feature=emb_logo

Comments

• TemTem Citizen

@Deepthought

Thanks very much! I am sure this will be of value to a lot of others.
    I will say more on this when I have got through all the links.

You are a star. 🌠

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

I can't do it,I just hyperventilate and need more Ativan🤪

• I remember trying this about 30 years ago or so. I did manage to feel that connection to the earth with my feet and breath. But I tried it again and it did not get it to work for me. I don't know why.

I have managed to learn some deep breathing with an app that has a ball that expands and contracts and a chord that gets louder and softer. That has been really helpful to me.

Statest, I also have trouble with panicking when I try to do breath exercises with counting and holding, etc. I'm so glad to hear I am not the only one.

It is amazing that this ball app works so well for me.

• @Tem said:
    @Deepthought

Thanks very much!

I am glad to have been of some service.

@Tem said:
    I am sure this will be of value to a lot of others.

It certainly helps a great deal as I have with quite a few others discovered.

@Tem said:
    I will say more on this when I have got through all the links.

All good things in good time as the expression goes.

@Tem said:
    You are a star. 🌠

Definitely ~ I have the crashing and burning bit well and truly down, although still working on the staying aloft and sparkly! 😁

• DeepthoughtDeepthought Citizen
    edited December 2020

@Statest16 said:
    I can't do it,I just hyperventilate and need more Ativan🤪

Some of the difficulty involves the autistic tendency to feel automatically anxious about making changes, another is going from shallow diaphragmatic breathing to deep pelvic makes one aware of the difference between actually suffocating and actually breathing ~ and then deep pelvic breathing is itself a methodology for processing years or decades of emotional distress and hypertension, which is no small undertaking, hence the descriptive and suggested methodology of taking it gently and progressing slowly.

Would just taking a single deep and gentle breath in and letting it out be workable on a once or twice weekly basis perhaps to start with?

In my case ~ my synaesthesia got seriously busy with the colours, sparkles, geometrics and audibilities ~ but without the seizures that more usually gave me those intensities of visual and audible extras. So all idiot factor ten I went for it as often as I could ~ until I realised doing so was causing me to have more seizures with greater intensity, so that taught me to pace myself a fair bit. 🤕

• DeepthoughtDeepthought Citizen
    edited December 2020

@blazingstar said:
    I remember trying this about 30 years ago or so. I did manage to feel that connection to the earth with my feet and breath. But I tried it again and it did not get it to work for me. I don't know why.

Basically consciousness via the soul vitalises the psychical field to vitalise the physical and mental sensibilities. Due though to the societal tendency to inhibit emotional freedom and expression with social camouflaging and personal masking, the soul is polarised to balance out the restriction of psychical vitality and prevent the physical and mental sensibilities from getting overloaded, and burnt out.

So on that first go in essence you had a teaser for what is possible, whereas some people have to spend however long getting psychically fit enough before the treadmill effect and otherwise become tangible experiences for them.

@blazingstar said:
    I have managed to learn some deep breathing with an app that has a ball that expands and contracts and a chord that gets louder and softer. That has been really helpful to me.

Nice.

Might you have a link or name for that app as others with compatible devices might find it useful too?

@blazingstar said:
    Statest, I also have trouble with panicking when I try to do breath exercises with counting and holding, etc. I'm so glad to hear I am not the only one.

I also found those breath exercises with counting, holding and releasing practices to be a right stress rather than anything close to relaxing.

The whole point of my meditations were to get my mind to run silently, and apart from reading and writing narration, I have and aim to keep the sanctity of inner peace on the go.

@blazingstar said:
    It is amazing that this ball app works so well for me.

My app has been singing bowls and tonal chanting, with the breath work involving also longer tonings as I could never get the hang of circular breathing with one lung inhaling and the other exhaling; it was just too confusing ~ as I relentlessly get my left and rights and compensations muddled up when directions are involved, and my lungs are like children that only want to do exactly what the other one is doing.

• It’s called “The Breathing App.”

It is quite plain. No bells or whistles to confuse me.

I don’t have much to say, except thank you for the discussion and information.

❤❤❤

• @blazingstar said:
    It’s called “The Breathing App.”

It is quite plain. No bells or whistles to confuse me.

I don’t have much to say, except thank you for the discussion and information.

❤❤❤

Well I am glad to have been of some service, and here follows is a review of "The Breathing App" for anybody who might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1SdblZUlr4

Thanks @blazingstar ❤❤❤