Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Sports or working out

2»

Comments

• Ah, so you started a fire in the bathroom. My mental image was more you somehow setting the porcelain throne ablaze.

• I absolutely loved playing basketball when I was younger, and almost everything about that sport constitutes a special interest for me (big NBA fan, collect trading cards, etc.). I haven't played in a few years, though; husband has a membership to a health club, but it doesn't have a basketball gym, so nowadays I just get my cardio through the treadmill, and also do some weightlifting. I'm in pretty decent shape for 36; not quite what I was in my prime (late 20s, when I could play pickup ball against men, was ripped from rigorous lifting, could run 7-and-a-half minute miles, and could go on an incline for a full hour and burn about 600 calories), but I'm ok with it. I go with husband to the health club usually twice a week (he goes a little more often) and can get a mile or two on the treadmill in half an hour, burn about 200-250 calories if I use the incline, can still sprint a bit, and am starting to build muscle back with weightlifting again after learning that women's bone density decreases as we hit our late thirties.

• Good thing you keep up with your exercise, ting, and weightlifting is highly beneficial in many ways - easy to do at home too during these times.

As you get older, your body and mind will thank you, I know how cliche it sounds, but regular exercise makes a huge difference in how you feel and how you're going to age.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

Before the COVID mass hysteria began, I was swimming a mile a day in the local pool. At the moment, my exercise is mostly limited to freeweights, and occasionally a long walk or bike-ride. I cycled thirty miles last Saturday, and walked another five around a nearby hill range.

• I walk/run 7 miles almost every day when I wake up. I also walk at a 3 mph pace for maybe another 10 miles.

I ran 3 marathons in the 90s. Could run maybe 5-10k now at about a 9-10 minute per mile pace these days. Struggle with hills.

@kraftiekortie said:
    I walk/run 7 miles almost every day when I wake up. I also walk at a 3 mph pace for maybe another 10 miles.

I ran 3 marathons in the 90s. Could run maybe 5-10k now at about a 9-10 minute per mile pace these days. Struggle with hills.

You really walk/run for four hours (or more) a day? Thoreau would be pleased.

• I did about 5 hours today...

edited November 2020

@kraftiekortie said:
    I did about 5 hours today...

How do you find time? I go for a long walk or bike-ride every Saturday or two, but to do it every day just wouldn't be feasible.

• I wake up at 5 AM, after about 5 hours’ sleep. This seems to be enough for now.

I do my slow walk about 1 hour after my fast walk when I don’t work at the library. When I do, I walk the halls of the Pace University building on my break. Then....the Brooklyn Bridge.

@kraftiekortie said:
    I wake up at 5 AM, after about 5 hours’ sleep. This seems to be enough for now.

I do my slow walk about 1 hour after my fast walk when I don’t work at the library. When I do, I walk the halls of the Pace University building on my break. Then....the Brooklyn Bridge.

You're lucky to have all those places so close by. I've never been to New York, but it strikes me as a very "walkable" city.

• It’s quite walkable....especially in Manhattan.

There’s a good many parks here.

• Kortie is my inspiration for getting walking again. I have a simple walking app for old ladies that starts out slow with incremental increases.

I used to run, cross country when available. Also weight training. And you may not think of dance as exercise, but I could do vigorous dancing literally all night at the Dawn Dances.

• @blazingstar said:
    Kortie is my inspiration for getting walking again. I have a simple walking app for old ladies that starts out slow with incremental increases.

I used to run, cross country when available. Also weight training. And you may not think of dance as exercise, but I could do vigorous dancing literally all night at the Dawn Dances.

Dance is most certainly exercise! Vigorous movement of any sort is always a form of exercise. :)

• I was in the beginning stages of getting back into my gym routine once the Jinping-fling rolled in and made gyms unwise places to hand out. I am now quite seriously fluffy. Considering getting into VR games for the excersise potential.

• 9th day in a row for my walking! 😇

• I was bad at gymnastics and sports. I was very often the last one picked for a side. Put in goal for football even though it was the worst position to put me in . My letting loads of goals in was seen as a justification to bully me even more.

Exercise videos are a waste of time. How do you actually watch such a video on your laptop while exercising at the same time? Even if you could do that the videos tend to show really fit types who look like they've swallowed a fistful of stimulants.