Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Insomnia Breakthrough

For any of you suffering from intense or long-term insomnia: I've found that getting lots of sunlight makes a huge difference. Being in direct sunlight (not shade) in both the morning and afternoon seems to be the crucial factor for me. Until recently I spent years unable to get to sleep until the early hours of the morning, even though I was very sleepy and exhausted, even when I spent the afternoon sitting in the sun, even with a massive dose of melatonin, even with good sleep hygiene like regular exercise, no screens or caffeine late at night, etc. Then one day I found myself outside in both the morning and afternoon for several hours, and later that evening I was much drowsier than normal and dozing off at a normal hour (10-11 pm).

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I wonder if this was related to body clock and blue light. Or possibly Seasonal Affective Disorder. Or vitamin D deficiency.

Great new though.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Glad you have had some restful nights. My periods of insomnia in the past were related to high anxiety levels, untreated for most of my life.
  • darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member
    verity said:
    I wonder if this was related to body clock and blue light. Or possibly Seasonal Affective Disorder. Or vitamin D deficiency.

Great new though.
    No I've been taking Vitamin D everyday for years and I had my level checked within the last few months. Plus I dim computer screens two hours before bedtime and stop using screens altogether an hour before bedtime. I didn't notice much of a difference in the insomnia when I started doing that. And I have insomnia in all seasons so I doubt SAD is the cause.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I guess it doesn't matter as to why in you case.

It might be to do with radiant heat, endorphins, muscle tone perhaps.

Typically the research show that being over hot is bad for sleep in fact cold helps sleep (counter initiative) however, the reason why baths work is the the temperature decline after a bath tends to be sharper, and in fact the body is colder in a shorter time, but the perception might be different. 

Exercise is also know to help.

I think this ties into a recovery and survival theory around sleep.
    verity said:
    I guess it doesn't matter as to why in you case.
    Well it kind of does matter because I was trying to get across the point that I had moderately severe insomnia despite doing all or most of the typically recommended sleep hygiene things, including the ones you've mentioned: I exercise regularly and have way above average muscle tone because I've lifted heavy for over a decade. I even tried Ambien. My point was that more sunlight could work even for seemingly intractable insomnia.
  • pangolinpangolin New Member, Member
    Well it kind of does matter because I was trying to get across the point that I had moderately severe insomnia despite doing all or most of the typically recommended sleep hygiene things, including the ones you've mentioned: I exercise regularly and have way above average muscle tone because I've lifted heavy for over a decade. I even tried Ambien. My point was that more sunlight could work even for seemingly intractable insomnia.

It may be a full-blown sleep disorder if lifestyle changes aren't helping. Has your doctor suggested an assessment for it?
    pangolin said:

It may be a full-blown sleep disorder if lifestyle changes aren't helping. Has your doctor suggested an assessment for it?
    I had a sleep study, that's all. The medical sleep department just kept offering me CBT, so I doubt they suspected a sleep disorder. Doctors haven't been helpful; for almost everything that improves my sleep, I've figured it out on my own.
    I'm not sure I'd qualify as having a sleep disorder; it seems I'm just exquisitely sensitive to environmental stimuli and what I consume: If I set the thermostate 5 degrees too low, I wake up cold. If I don't eat protein shortly before bed, I wake up with night sweats. I can't sleep in unfamiliar places, and synthetic blankets make me sweat and keep me awake.
    I meant to add: lifestyle changes do help, they're just somewhat personal changes and not the typical sleep hygiene changes: I had to get a sleeping bag made of natural fabric, I have to set the thermostate to 55 degrees F (even in summer), etc. I still take melatonin, but I have to get it from the health food store because the pharmacy brand doesn't work, and I have to take it much earlier than the sleep doctor told me to take it.