All about birds :)

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
I thought I'd make a thread about birds since I know a lot of people like them, and I have recently started trying to identify more of the birds around my area.

What kind of birds do you have in your area? How do you like to identify them (calls/songs, appearances, etc.)?

Which one(s) are your favourite and why do you like them?

Comments

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited April 17
    I live in the Mediterranean ( Middle East) and we have many exotic species of birds because they migrate here in the winter. I mostly know their names in Hebrew, but I will start to research their names in English so that I can share here. Birds give me immense pleasure, my favourite is the Kingfisher which I often see in my little garden. There are many Parrots in the palms in my neighborhood, I think they are mainly escaped pets because they are not indigenous in Israel. I saw a Robin Redbreast last winter which made me so happy. There are Storks and Woodpeckers and of course many more that I will pay more attention to from now on.

Just checked and we have a lot of Hoopoes around here. In Hebrew we call them Doochifat with a gutteral chh like clearing your throat.
  • This morning, sitting on the dock. I watched a bright red cardinal checking out various bushes, his bright red glowing in the early morning light. The cardinals make a chucking sound just to let each other know where they are. Listening, I can hear Carolina Wrens, Northern Parulas, White-eyed Vireos, Red bellied woodpeckers. 

Birds give me great joy. 
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Aside from what you would expect to find in the city, we also have a lot of goshawks and falcons living here.

• BenderBender Citizen
    Personally, I absolutely love owls ❤
  • blazingstarblazingstar Citizen
    edited April 18
    We have many barred owls in our woods. They have crazy hootings and a warm up that sounds like s whistle. It gets quite noisy at times. Twice we have had nests nearby and once got to watch the fledglings who sat on the branches for a day or two before launching off to fly. They were so cute. 

Last evening, a green heron swooped over the pond and perched on a willow branch to preen. Green herons are secretive and rarely perch where they can be seen for any length of time. But the setting sun lit up the feathers. 

And Bender, I have read of people in cities, high up in the sky scrapers observing birds, including falcons. I'd love to see a goshawk. What magnificent birds. We have just a tiny falcon, the kestrel. 

• BenderBender Citizen
    We don't have skyscrapers here, but they seem to love the city - I imagine they find a lot of food. Fortunately, wildlife of any kind is monitored and well-taken care of here, both by regular people and authorities, so they usually have a good life.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Flame bower bird

very interesting display

I like ducks too

Torrent Duck

Blue Duck

This bird is the national bird of Jamaica (local name Doctor Bird) Red-billed streamertail

Shoe bill has to be a favourite very prehistoric

Cassowarys are prehistoric too and quite dangerous to encounter. especially if you don't give them their space.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I love this video

• BenderBender Citizen
    ^
    I remember that video ❤

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I've loved reading everyone's responses so far, it's so cool to see all of the birds other people find interesting.

One of the birds I've noticed that are in my area and find interesting are white-crowned sparrows. I like hearing their song/call in the mornings, but I haven't actually seen one yet. They blend in with the trees around here very well.

I've also heard some baby birds around here lately, but I'm not sure what species they are.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited April 22

Humming birds frequent my garden often, (not Kingfishers as I mistakenly assumed previously) thank you Hylian for the opportunity to research my favourite birds. How delightful they are!!! The commentator states that they only live in the Americas but we do have them in the Middle East and I often see them.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited April 22

For Hylian. White- crowned Sparrows. 🕊🦅♥
    I love hummingbirds, such amazing little birds, never seen them in the wild, that would be so special. 
    Teach51 said:

For Hylian. White- crowned Sparrows. 🕊🦅♥
    Thank you for this, this is really cute. Their song and their roundness are both very endearing to me, for some reason. lol
  • blazingstarblazingstar Citizen
    edited April 30
    Yesterday morning, sitting on the dock, I had quite display of cardinals. There were three male cardinals and one female. The males were challenging each other by flying right at another one. The female flew off into a bit of low shrubs and one male followed her. 
    Then another male started to fly there, and the first male came right at him and they hit each other midway and there was a tight circling around each other, with claws extended, and flying of bright red feathers. 

Over in milliseconds. 

The cardinal pair appears to have a nesting site in the maple tree on the edge of the pond, which also has a story for another day. 
    I forgot to mention this before, but I saw a house finch in one of our neighbours smaller trees awhile back. It didn't mind me being there (until our dog started running around, and then it flew off lol). I love the soft red colour that they have and getting to see one up close was super nice.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Hylian said:
    I forgot to mention this before, but I saw a house finch in one of our neighbours smaller trees awhile back. It didn't mind me being there (until our dog started running around, and then it flew off lol). I love the soft red colour that they have and getting to see one up close was super nice.

That is really nice! Nature is a bit haywire, there are birds over here who are pushing out the locals, they are aggressive and very dominant. I don't think I know the house finch.
    These the ones Hylian?

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Yesterday morning, sitting on the dock, I had quite display of cardinals. There were three male cardinals and one female. The males were challenging each other by flying right at another one. The female flew off into a bit of low shrubs and one male followed her. 
    Then another male started to fly there, and the first male came right at him and they hit each other midway and there was a tight circling around each other, with claws extended, and flying of bright red feathers. 

Over in milliseconds. 

The cardinal pair appears to have a nesting site in the maple tree on the edge of the pond, which also has a story for another day. 

Beautiful. I never heard of them before.
    Teach51 said:
    Hylian said:

That is really nice! Nature is a bit haywire, there are birds over here who are pushing out the locals, they are aggressive and very dominant. I don't think I know the house finch.
    These the ones Hylian?

Yeah, those are the ones! There's a lot of them in my area.

I'm also sorry to hear that there are birds pushing out the local ones where you live. I hope that doesn't affect the ecosystem in your area too much.