Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Noise Cancelling Earplugs

IsabellaIsabella Citizen
edited October 2020 in Mind and Body Wellbeing

I'm looking for recommendations, because I have misophonia. I also flip out from the sound of ... people. Basically any sound that a person makes in public puts me close to a meltdown, especially:

voices high or low
high heels sound --- or any walking noises
people fiddling with papers
chewing, sniffling, laughing, coughing, breathing

You name it -- I hate it.

I've never used earplugs in public because I feel like I'd be unable to hear the conversations that I do need to hear (doctors etc). I don't even wear music earbuds. I do sleep with earplugs though -- because I'm such a light sleeper.

Any recommendations of something not super expensive that I won't lose on the first day will be appreciated.
If I get a doctor's note they will be free on my insurance. I don't know if this makes a difference in what type I choose, but I do have Tinnitus and sometimes it's hard to hear anything except buzzing when I have my earplugs in for sleep.

Comments

• Save_FerrisSave_Ferris Citizen, Member
    edited October 2020

I don't use ear plugs , and I can't reccomend any as I only have these in silver . The noise cancelling is quite good though , it definitely takes the edge off.

edited October 2020

fucking double post

• Thanks Ferr. I've seen that type of noise-cancelling headphones but don't quite understand. You hear music but they block everything else out? They cancel everything except the music?

Do you wear them in public or just around the house? What if you are in public and someone is talking to you ? Do you have to shut the music off or can you still hear conversation, depending on the volume?

I know that's a lot of questions. I might feel stressed if I'm too detached from the real world because I need my fight or flight response. Or, I think I do? I'm torn because I hate sound but feel like I'd be scared if I wasn't on high alert.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

Noise cancelling ear buds/phones only works on predicable waveforms as it is has to be able to predict the waveform to generate the cancelling waveform. Bose are pretty good, but i have only tried the over ear type.

The only thing that can block most all noise is a anechoic chamber, and there are few and a far between not a all practical in a domestic setting. I have been in one in university. When they close the door, you can loose your sense of balance, it is pretty weird experience. They also trap heat so it would be pretty warm in there.

The reality is we rely on our senses all the time, so even if you are hyper sensitive removing one sense completely is unsettling.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    edited October 2020

I have the Bose cancelling over ear headphones too.

In crowded places I use them just for their noise suppression. You can switch the noise cancelling on or off, with or without music playing. I use them mostly in these situations with no music and just the noise cancelling switched on.

With just the noise suppression on, as your hearing is sensitive I would estimate that you are very likely to clearly hear the person speaking to you.

It dulls the noise, but unfortunately doesnt get rid of it completely.

If you have music playing while the noise cancelling is on then yes, total escapism from the noises is possible, even with sensitive hearing.

I listen to meditative podcasts in situations where I am waiting for someone or for whatever reason in a noisy place.

@Isabella said:
    Thanks Ferr. I've seen that type of noise-cancelling headphones but don't quite understand. You hear music but they block everything else out? They cancel everything except the music?

Do you wear them in public or just around the house? What if you are in public and someone is talking to you ? Do you have to shut the music off or can you still hear conversation, depending on the volume?

I know that's a lot of questions. I might feel stressed if I'm too detached from the real world because I need my fight or flight response. Or, I think I do? I'm torn because I hate sound but feel like I'd be scared if I wasn't on high alert.

You can use them just with Active noise control (ANC) which in theory plays a second sound specifically designed to cancel the first. ( I can just hear a quiet high frequency noise )

Just wearing decent over the ear headphones reduces sound , ANC in cheaper models is probably a gimic , Bose doesn't mess around though.

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited November 2020

https://earlabs.co/dbud/sensitivity/

I'm looking at these earplugs called Dbuds which are recommended for misophonia, autism, ADHD, Ménière's, SPD, and hearing health.

It's so confusing. Magna recommends Eargasm, my OT recommends Vibes, and in my estimation these guys look pretty good because they're adjustable and I've never seen fewer than 5 Stars.

Here's their blurb about misophonia if anyone's interested. Misophonia is triggered by softer sounds (typing, footsteps, breathing, chewing, crinkling), and can cause meltdowns. Loud sounds or noises which are expected to bother people (e.g., a baby crying), aren't considered part of misophonia and they don't really bother me to the point of rage. Most earplugs seem to be made for really loud sounds but these ones and a couple of other brands also work with soft sounds.

Misophonia:
    https://earlabs.co/dbud/what-is-misophonia/

edited November 2020

Meh --- I just ordered Eargasm. Same price as Dbuds but they look more comfortable and I'm pretty sure I can return them because they're from Amazon instead of my local music shop.

The drawback is they don't have a strap and I'm sure I'll lose them in the first 24 hours. They do sell the straps separately so if I like them, I'll consider it. I got the blue ones so they'd be harder to lose than transparent.

I'll keep y'all updated because my misophonia has been out of control the past couple of years.

I would be interested in your verdict, I didn't know these existed, I know someone who might find these useful.

• @Isabella said:
    Meh --- I just ordered Eargasm. Same price as Dbuds but they look more comfortable and **I'm pretty sure I can return them because they're from Amazon instead of my local music shop.

But do the right thing and clear off the ear wax first. 🙃

edited November 2020

I'll try to remember 🙃

I already have tons of foam earplugs that I use for sleep. I really hope these are better. Maybe I'll try the dBuds brand as well if needed. So long as there are no dead physiotherapists as a result of my misophonia, I'll consider it a win.

joke ^

• @Save_Ferris said:
    I don't use ear plugs , and I can't reccomend any as I only have these in silver . The noise cancelling is quite good though , it definitely takes the edge off.

I just bought fancy earplugs, but I hope I'll be getting these ^ for Christmas if I'm good. 🙃

• My Eargasms have arrived. So far in the house I feel like they're not doing anything. I can still hear the kitten playing, and an airplane overhead. I can hear the wind and my quiet bird video. They seem rather useless.

I'll try them when I go to the vet.

• Ohhh not good. I had to shove them in really far so they wouldn't fall out, and then I couldn't get them out again even with the pull tab. I couldn't grasp the pull tab because it's so small. I had to pull them out with tweezers and that ripped one of the tabs.

These are going back.

Frown.

• Sounds bad. I've never had anything like that, I keep regular earphones or earplugs with me at all times, especially in crowded or stressful environments I love having "soundtrack" 😛

And I have earbuds for sleeping. I hope you find something better, I know the hospital visits are bad in that way too.

edited November 2020

I tried Mack's today when I was at the hospital. I loved them at home and thought I'd found my solution but nope .... just as useless as Eargasm even though they were way more comfortable.

I think I need an audiologist appt but when I've gone in the past they say my hearing is fine.
    (No shite, Sherlock ....) 😡

• Maybe you might have to go with headphones?

• Probably ^ , but I've been avoiding having to wear headphones in public. I'll likely try the ones Ferris recommended. MD has some so I should likely test-drive hers first but I keep hoping to find something more discreet.

• Understandable.

Same price range Bose alternatives
    For something more subtle https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/headphones/earbuds/quietcomfort-20-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones.html#v=qc20_samsung_black

They also have these for sleep, only concern is that they dont have the active noise cancelling technology.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/wellness/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds-ii.html#v=noise_masking_sleepbuds_ii_white

For me, the over ears are the best option.

• I have a bad tinnitus at times, sometimes for straight days.

Take Vitamin B3 and Zinc, it helped me.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member
    edited December 2020

I use these:

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/7435295/howard-leight-source-500-laser-lite-disposable-foam-nrr-32-ear-plug-dispenser---500-pairbox---hw-3301271.html

They only perfectly cancel noise up to 25-30 dB (a light whisper), but they muffle louder noises and so take the edge off my anxiety. I wear them 24 hours a day, except when I'm out of the house or in the shower. If things get really bad, I play white noise in the background, or run a fan or whatever.