Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Anybody likes dancing?

I actually enjoy it a lot - my wife and I took swing and salsa classes. It did wonders for my coordination and learning to use the upper and lower part of the body independently. Once I didn't have to concentrate on learning steps and stuff, it was fascinating how two bodies can communicate and follow each other without the brain getting involved :)

And it's fun if you like the music. We used to go to Jazz Clubs pretty often to dance and I miss it.

Comments

• To quote someone else; I'd rather eat a bag of hair.

• I also have a long braid here in a bag, for hair donation. Are you interested?

Just send shipping and taxes. I take Pay Pal.

• Bender,
    I'm a terrible dancer. I don't know any dances except the pogo (straight up and down punk style).

I think it's great when couples go out and learn to dance together. :)

• I love dancing. I dance by myself all the time when showering, cleaning, cooking. I listen to music all day and just bop about with wild abandon. Especially like Queen's "Another one bites the dust" with an extremely tough expression on my face using my vacuum cleaner as a mike. choo choo choo choo choo another one bites the dust...........
    can't post vids yet, but I will get there soon.

• I said I'm a terrible dancer but that doesn't mean I never dance alone in private. I also have a habit of doing random pirouettes or gymnastic "stuck" poses (ta-da!) when walking down the street. :p

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited October 2020

love don't come easy, it's a game of give and take.

You can't hurry love.

https://youtu.be/uZj032MNIx4

• I also have a dance that imitates Grover from Sesame Street pushing a vacuum.

I'm very talented, you know. :p

• Issy :)

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited October 2020

Issy:"I also have a dance that imitates Grover from Sesame Street pushing a vacuum.

I'm very talented, you know. 😔 > "

no doubt in my mind

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited October 2020

lol ---- I'm self-effacing. It sounds like you and Bender could dance up a storm!

:)

My aunties do a dance called The Mashed Potato. I should learn it.

I'm pretty good at The Twist though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jOKNM4z9Zs&ab_channel=Maxxmuthu

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited October 2020

I did that !!!!! We need Lulu in this conversation (another feisty redhead)
    I actually saw this live on Ready Steady Go
    https://youtu.be/IAbbXbZKph0

• I'm a feisty redhead too!

Well, technically an auburn-head. But I have the freckles to match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coh9LPVe-Ss&ab_channel=EDGEPerformingArtsCenter

Let's roll, Teach!

• HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA my bum is bigger but I'm in!!!

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

I love to dance, but wow my coordination is ...challenged.

Any dance classes I've taken usually equal me totally out of sync with everyone else and a not so subtle explosion self laughter as I find my lack of coordination hilarious.

I took private dance classes at one stage and the teacher gave up on anything challenging and focussed just on waltzing, which with enough concentration I can manage to get right.

I'd love to be able to jive.

I can just about manage to coordinate my movements for nice slow gentle aqua aerobics.

• My husband and wife game characters danced together some yesterday.

• TemTem Citizen

I tend to armchair dance these days and get some funny looks from my ma - it doesn't take much to set me off.

I used to dream of having a boyfriend who could dance. Now I have vertigo (meniere's) so dancing can seriously put others at risk of being squashed.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2SGwdHTKr8&ab_channel=OwenWeber

I think I'll enrol. Any other takers? They must have Zoom lessons!! ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1LUXQWzCno&ab_channel=RadioRob

And for good measure ^ .

• I could probably get behind some pair dancing, if I had a partner....and a sense of rhytm...and fewer left feet....and any semblance of grace whatsoever.

• I always dreamed of being in musical theatre and belting out Fantine from Les Mis.

But I suppose she doesn't dance much after selling her hair and giving away her child. Or before she dies.

• @Tem said:
    I tend to armchair dance these days and get some funny looks from my ma - it doesn't take much to set me off.

I used to dream of having a boyfriend who could dance. Now I have vertigo (meniere's) so dancing can seriously put others at risk of being squashed.

Uh, sorry to hear that, I was diagnosed with it too about 3 years ago. Do you get vertigo attacks all the time? Mine seem to come and go (haven't had one in over a year) and I only lost a bit o hearing in my left year. I'm terrified of them (mine are extremely debilitating and accompanied by violent nausea) and the possibility of my hearing getting worse.

• TemTem Citizen

I get those nasty attacks too and it lasts for months but then only goes down to a manageable level but is still there all the time.
    It can come from anywhere and was the most scary thing that has ever happened when it first hit me.

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited October 2020

@Tem said:
    I get those nasty attacks too and it lasts for months but then only goes down to a manageable level but is still there all the time.
    It can come from anywhere and was the most scary thing that has ever happened when it first hit me.

Same for me, what I find the most disturbing is that it's impossible to predict or prevent them and there's generally nothing I can do, or at least that's what my doctor tells me. The loss of control was very difficult to adapt to.

• TemTem Citizen

Yeah, feeling helpless and vulnerable brought a few things home to me.
    I was getting older and I have no control over my future.
    Do your eye balls flicker?

• Like eyelid twitching? I've had that, I didn't know it was connected.

• @Tem said:

What kind of music gets sets you off?

• TemTem Citizen

@Bender said:
    Like eyelid twitching? I've had that, I didn't know it was connected.

No, I mean your actual eye moving back and forth as the room seems to move? It could be side ways, up and down or at an angle. Look weird.

I will move to most music that has a beat and is catchy. Even tv ads can get me shimmying.

• @Tem said:

@Bender said:
    Like eyelid twitching? I've had that, I didn't know it was connected.

No, I mean your actual eye moving back and forth as the room seems to move? It could be side ways, up and down or at an angle. Look weird.

I will move to most music that has a beat and is catchy. Even tv ads can get me shimmying.

I don't think so, I'm not sure. During vertigo attacks the room is moving like crazy anyway so I'll have to ask my wife.

Dedication for Tem:

This one always gets me going :)

https://youtu.be/rs6Y4kZ8qtw

• I love to dance. I can dance all night. At one time I did a lot of contra dancing. I also took lambada lessons. I can waltz and two-step, etc.

But my real passion is swing dancing. I love the music (In the Mood, for example) and the syncopated rhythm of the dance (in threes, while the music is 4/4) and the interplay of the two bodies. The magic of lead and follow is transcendent.

It actually hurts to think about missing it.