Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Sports or working out

Over the years, this has been for me one of the most reliable ways of dealing with stress or anger. And the best advice I've ever got in my life was an older friend telling me when I was young "the way you treat your body in the first half of your life is the way your body will treat you in the second half".

I don't like team sports to either watch or practise myself, I've been doing various martial arts on and off for decades and I like playing tennis and skying. This year was difficult with that for obvious reasons, especially since I also walk everywhere and rarely use public transport or the car, so I mostly used a rowing machine and free weights at home.

So what do you guys do?

Comments

• Used to do boxing and kung fu, nowadays various types of strength programs and IPSC.

• Save_FerrisSave_Ferris Citizen, Member

I am a proffesional couch potato nowadays due to injuries.

I didn't get my driving license until I was about 30 ? so I used to BMX everywhere which always kept me super fit.

Football used to be my life , I played Wed , Sat & Sun religously until I snapped my ACL , got it fixed , went back to football too soon and snapped it again , I'm pretty sure it was my special interest lol I am still in mourning and don't get much enjoyment even watching it.

I've practiced several martial arts but Jiu Jitsu was the one I stuck at until I got a back injury and never went back.

• Wow, impressive. I stuck with Jujutsu for ten years and stopped due to a compound fracture, still have an ankle full of screws.

Ten years later I discovered Krav Maga to my wife's distress, never got so many black eyes in my life, but I loved it.

Edit: it wasn't the wife giving me the black eyes lol

• Childhood:
    Tap dance, ballet, gymnastics, swimming, and skating.

Later:
    I used to mountain bike and cycle a lot. I did some pretty extreme single-track mountain biking in The Rockies using ski trails and gondola lifts. I cycled for recreation and for exercise. I continued swimming and started Yoga and Pilates. I also did cardiofitness like kickboxing and weight training. I was hopeless with aerobics because I couldn't keep up to the rhythms or routines. I was always very anxious in the gym because of Agoraphobia / social phobia and Scopophobia (the fear of being looked at). I quit and continued more solo activities like cycling, swimming and yoga. Since my stroke I can't cycle but I still swim as much as possible, and I walk my dog at least an hour a day -- usually at night in the pitch dark because of Scopophobia.

Nothing like a cold winter to let you know you have metal screws in your body. I like the look of Krav Maga , looks lethal lol. Exercise is a rude swear to me now.

• Oh I forgot my rollerskating phase! 1979-1981 -- that's where I learned all the best music, at the roller rink.

I think it also reinforced my obsession with coloured lights.

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited October 2020

Ferris: you, in particular, would love it, it's no holds barred and you need protection at least for your nadgers.

Not a lot of places have it though, instructors can only be accredited in Israel.

• Nice, Isa, you're also horse-back riding, right?

• Oh yes, true! My granddad kept horses when I was an adolescent, and I also did equine trauma therapy. Now I go on trail rides as well. I guess I didn't think of that as an exercise but of course it is. The stables were closed most of the summer because of Covid but they're open again (knock wood that they stay open). It was frustrating last time because we had to wear masks, but I still love to ride. I'm not great at it or anything, but I love horses and would love to go more.

Not exactly working out but I am considering doing some of the Wim Hof Method - cold showers

• Nothing like a cold winter to let you know you have metal screws in your body. I like the look of Krav Maga , looks lethal lol. Exercise is a rude swear to me now.

By no means disrespecting Krav Maga, but unelss you're military and planning on running out of ammo for your M-16, you'd be just as well served by boxing, wrestling or Judo. I'd suggest Judo, because people don't seem to appreciate just how devastating a proper throw can be.

• LOL I didn't like it for its lethal potential, what I enjoyed the most about it is that it's not a martial art, but a fighting style. No frills, no fancy stuff, just maximum efficiency: your only purpose is to disable/neutralise your aggressor.

I first joined a club when I was in the Netherlands and when the instructor asked how many people there hit someone or were hit IRL, only me and another foreigner raised our hands. The training did a great job teaching the guys to be less evasive and scared of being hit, after all, "a little bit of pain never hurt anyone" ;)

edited October 2020

I did do Judo as a kid ( which helped later with Jiu Jitsu ) and you are right a proper throw onto to a concrete pavement would finish most lol

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmW56eKVgVM

The world champ of Krav Maga is...spicy.

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited October 2020

I'm not surprised at all, there were some deadly women at my club. Last time I've heard from one of them, she went to Israel to take her instructor exams, she was running circles around a lot of the guys.

• Potato chip "crunches". 😎

Spicy is an understatement , I know how I would of reacted if someone elbowed me like that. I've heard about bully instructors before. He said it gets the point across quick - the instructor is a bully lol

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

@Save_Ferris said:
    Spicy is an understatement , I know how I would of reacted if someone elbowed me like that. I've heard about bully instructors before. He said it gets the point across quick - the instructor is a bully lol

MMA and some boxing gyms used to work like this. Going 100% all the time. They found it wasn't effective sparing. Too many injuries and the improvement wasn't any better and often worse than controlled sparing that is still live.

Also self defence is really much more than just fighting, but that doesn't really sell.

Training for only worse case is flawed. There is a lot ambiguity in situations and a of lot of in between. Of course you can be prepared for worse case, but you also is something is already worse case you are pretty much screwed as it is. Those kinds of method that only apply as a last ditch aren't as versatile as the bulk of the basics.

Those that are only training for worse case tend not to know how to deal with more in-between situations, and tend to escalate situations (which obviously by definition is poor self defence). So meat-head "experts", that get into fight, can't really help you will self defence if that is your objective for studying.

The reality is ,anyone can be soccer punched, or stabbed in the side, we off guard, there is very little you can do to stop it, just to make it less liekly to happen and again most of that prevention has little to do with fighting.

I have around 15 years martial arts / "self defence" experience. I'm more cynical towards it these days. I don't dismiss it, but I have a much better idea of what it is about and how that different from what most clubs are about (even the better ones), which is general self discipline, belts for cash, trash talk exercise, in some cases sparing.

@verity said:

@Save_Ferris said:

MMA and some boxing gyms used to work like this. Going 100% all the time. They found it wasn't effective sparing. Too many injuries and the improvement wasn't any better and often worse than controlled sparing that is still live.

Also self defence is really much more than just fighting, but that doesn't really sell.

Training for only worse case is flawed. There is a lot ambiguity in situations and a of lot of in between. Of course you can be prepared for worse case, but you also is something is already worse case you are pretty much screwed as it is. Those kinds of method that only apply as a last ditch aren't as versatile as the bulk of the basics.

Those that are only training for worse case tend not to know how to deal with more in-between situations, and tend to escalate situations (which obviously by definition is poor self defence). So meat-head "experts", that get into fight, can't really help you will self defence if that is your objective for studying.

The reality is ,anyone can be soccer punched, or stabbed in the side, we off guard, there is very little you can do to stop it, just to make it less liekly to happen and again most of that prevention has little to do with fighting.

I have around 15 years martial arts / "self defence" experience. I'm more cynical towards it these days. I don't dismiss it, but I have a much better idea of what it is about and how that different from what most clubs are about (even the better ones), which is general self discipline, belts for cash, trash talk exercise, in some cases sparing.

I agree dude , my best self defence skill I have learned is run like fuck - and I can run faster than most ( at least I could , I need to warm my quads up now 😂 ) , it's got me out of a lot of trouble

• I'm an extremely poor runner(seriously pronated feet), so running was never a viable option for me. Hence my options from an early age consisted of fight or...well, fight.

• I'm pretty good at competitive Freezing. ^

• gets Isa a blanket

• Merci 🔥

Time to light a fire.

Today's exercise consists of housework.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

^🤣

• ...did you just set fire to the blanket?

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited October 2020

No but I lit my toilet ablaze in August when a candle fell over.

It was pretty fun. Another member was there but that's another story.

• ...that just raises further questions.

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited October 2020
    • I mean, the member was there online not in real life *

No conspiracy theories please. 😲

• I was more concerned that you set the 🚽 on 🔥. How?

• I was in the bathtub with a candle on the back of the toilet tank. I guess with all the steam in the room, the tank got condensation and slippery. The candle slid off the tank into the waste bin which was full of tissues and an empty TP roll. That all caught on fire and scorched the side of my toilet. All while I was trying to get out of the tub lol. There's still wax all over the toilet seat. I keep scraping it off with the side of my credit card but keep finding more.