Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Insomnia

Not sure if this exists already but seeing as I have had a bout of Insomnia thought I may was well
post something before i start getting ready for work.

I sometimes get occasional nights were my brain is just to active for me to sleep like last night.

I thought it may be helpful to post our experiences and what works for each other in such circumstances and what you do to pass the time when sleeping is not on the cards.

Will type more later as have work at 9am and it is now 7am and been up about 24 hours

Happy Monday everyone! 🙏

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    edited November 2020

Happy Monday JesterJim

I think you will find you have company here, I know a few members will relate.

I had bouts of insomnia a few years back, but it was more anxiety related, its staying asleep that I struggle with these days.

I get the racing brain experience when Ive been working late and it can take 4/5 hours to unwind enough to sleep.

• JesterJimJesterJim Citizen
    edited November 2020

I think mine currently is anxiety related as work has been quite difficult and have a lot of deadlines with too many things to do.

I may look at taking a step back next year even if it means just working part time as currently I think my role in my current project is not suited to somone on the spectrum due to the amount of people I have to work with being so high.

If the numbers were lower it would be easy but is too anxiety inducing having to be on top of 40 people and somewhat responsible for there lives tbh any tiny thing can end in a headache work wise or lead to a incident.

Family have questioned my sanity for continuing 😅

But I have encountered insomnia before I even started to work though my line of work it is hard to arrange time off as well / if I call in sick the work most likely will be there for me to pick up when back in/ things could have gotten much worse in that time.

The fact is not enough time as it is in the work week means booking time of is difficult.

Office jobs were boring as hell but much simpler.

Have Christmas off so looking forward to that but this time of year is always the most busiest as well.

Your job seems full on and with that many people there are so many variations of situations that could go awry, it would seem like a lot of pressure to be under.
    When Ive been in those kind of jobs, its been a constant battle with anxiety, part time work suited me much better from a health perspective.

• @JesterJim said:
    I sometimes get occasional nights were my brain is just to active for me to sleep like last night.

Yes, this happens to me too quite often. I go out of my way to clear my brain of any distractions in the evening and only do things that won't require too much input from my mind, it's a very delicate balance.

Sometimes I work a few extra hours in the evening, just to make sure that I won't obsess the whole night about something that hasn't been fixed yet.

I empathise and sympathise strongly with your work situation, I'm in a similar position. I also work with a large number of people (remotely though) in conditions of perpetual crisis, conflict, putting out fires and tough deadlines. My family also thinks I'm a masochist, but I'll have to see it through which means another 8-9 months of this 🤪

• I can't stop taking medication for insomnia. If I miss it, I miss a night. I'm afraid it might be an addiction - but the good side is, constant dose works, it's pretty low and I don't have to increase it.

• @magpie said:
    I can't stop taking medication for insomnia. If I miss it, I miss a night. I'm afraid it might be an addiction - but the good side is, constant dose works, it's pretty low and I don't have to increase it.

Sounds reasonable to me - I would do it in a heartbeat if it worked for me, it would definitely be a small price to pay.

• @magpie said:
    I can't stop taking medication for insomnia. If I miss it, I miss a night. I'm afraid it might be an addiction - but the good side is, constant dose works, it's pretty low and I don't have to increase it.

Same. I've been on low-dose prescription Ambien for at least five years, in addition to a nightmare prevention med for PTSD. If I don't have them I don't sleep at all. I consider sleep to be essential, and given I have apnea and I already had a stroke, I'm not willing to risk having insomnia or any more sleepless nights.

Many of us can relate @JesterJim. Wishing you well on your workday.

• Update I did a handover for today / prepared it this morning and contacted management as don’t feel in a fit state to work today.

Not when need to be able to remember key information at work.

To update I usually take medication as well though they are not sleeping tablets they are used for a variety of different things one of which is insomnia another anxiety amongst other uses prescribed by a Dr etc they don’t make you sleep but just give a minor drowsy effect that can help.

Insomnia seems quite common in those of us on the spectrum honestly it wouldn’t be that bad for me but when you add in work and the fact I cant chill all day it makes it a nightmare.

Times were much simpler when I didn’t have a job 😂

Good call, glad that was an option for you.
    Would you nap during the day?

• TemTem Citizen
    edited November 2020

Yeah, well done, self-care is essential for our survival.
    You are also setting a good example for others here, too, who may find taking time out difficult.
    I salute you sir.🙋‍♀️

• @Jester Jim: what a great example of managing self care. I myself have been trying to retire and/or at least work half time for a couple of years. You are an inspiration to me.

I rarely get a good night’s sleep ever since my baby was born and that was some 50 years ago. My best sleep is in a sleeping bag on the ground.

My current efforts include reading fiction until the book or iPad falls out of my hands.

• I know it’s a cliche....but Counting Sheep has helped me. Thinking of myself floating over vast fields, plains, savannas......

• I moved Hanoi Towers in my imagination.