Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Gratitude: what are you thankful for today

Learning to express gratitude and be grateful on a daily basis is one of the first and longest lasting skills I have learned to make my life better over time. It doesn’t have to be anything big or important. It can be for a cup of coffee, the blue sky, bird song, whatever.

I remember when I first began this practice some 40 years ago, that it felt contrived and on the inside I didn’t really feel grateful. But with time, it became more a part of me, of who I am. There have been many lapses in practice over the years, but I always come back to it.

Today I am grateful for the blooming climbing asters cascading over the drive. And of course for finding so many missed friends here.

What are you grateful for today?

Comments

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I'm grateful for my cat letting me touch her belly a few minutes ago. Usually neither of my cats allow that.

• I'm grateful for someone helping learn a new skill.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

Today I was grateful to be able to make the most of a short break in the rain and go for a forest walk.

• I'm grateful that nothing really bad has happened to me in the Time of COVID.

• Grateful for rain here in Northern California. Grateful that I'm doing alright while so many people in the world are not.

• Today I am so grateful for my colleague H. Our work is undergoing major changes and she said, unsolicited, "while I was listening to this presentation I was thinking, thank god Blaze has to deal with this and not me."
    It mystifies me that my colleagues see me as useful to the team, and I am so grateful for it.

Today I was thankful that this morning the sky was blue and that the sun made all the natural colours richer on my walk with the dogs.

• People frequently are their own worse critics, I have found....

• I am grateful for my parents and music.

• I'm grateful that my hips and lower back haven't hurt much today.

• I am grateful for being able to work from home.

• I am grateful for getting up in the morning.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I'm grateful for my friend always being there for me, being understanding, and always encouraging me to improve myself.

• A morning walk through live oaks and lush resurrection ferns.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

Meeting an old friend.

Today I was thankful to be able to birdwatch from inside. The grey wag tail was particularly interesting to watch.

• I'm thankful for the many lives (human and otherwise) that left their impression within me. Each impression was a learning experience and a time revered for the connection it brought.

• ❤ ^

I'm grateful for my pillow fort, coloured lights, and Christmas music after a very stressful week.

• @AnmeBonney said:
    I'm thankful for the many lives (human and otherwise) that left their impression within me. Each impression was a learning experience and a time revered for the connection it brought.

I also feel this way, I'm trying to learn to express it more often.

• Love in whatever form it comes.

• I'm grateful for the silly little fluffball that's entered my life and home.

• Walking with bare feet on the earth.

Anmebonney, you also speak my heart.

• I've very grateful for the sleep I've got last night, I feel 20 years younger 😆

• I have gratitude for so many things. Today, my 3rd day without a fridge, I realized how many things I take for granted. My morning coffee with powdered milk was a treat!

This morning when I reflected on how much better life is since I started living by my own priorities, I was thankful that this came to me earlier rather than later in life.

• Amity, I can on occasion become resentful that it took me so long to get to where I am. The inner dialog goes something like this, "Big Deal, Blaze. You are almost 67 years old and you just figured out how to xyz." Then I remind myself to be grateful for how far I have come.

I am grateful I can afford an office assistant who makes things so much easier for me and she does it every day with a smile.

edited November 2020

@blazingstar:

Amity, I can on occasion become resentful that it took me so long to get to where I am. The inner dialog goes something like this, "Big Deal, Blaze. You are almost 67 years old and you just figured out how to xyz." Then I remind myself to be grateful for how far I have come. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................I hear what you're saying, I was resentful for years on account of how much I had lost and then later on how the youthful energy I had was focused on things that were never sustainable. It left a bitter aftertaste, that time was gone, I'd never get it back. It led to the reaslisation that my priorities weren't sustainable as, they were based on what the world expected of a typical woman, yet they had felt like my own priorities at the time and not at all something that I had been conditioned to prioritise .......................................................................................................................................................................................................Ive spent quite some time in therapy and changing my inner dialogue to the approach of what a knowledgeable loving supportive parent would say, has been life altering. Yet utterly cringe and uncomfortable to do for months at the beginning, a reconditioning as such. Well worth it, glad I pushed through the discomfort, it feels like my way of living is more authentic now.

Today I am grateful that I have a roof over my head and for the aspects of pure chance/luck that led to this outcome.

• I went and stocked up with supplies at my local supermarket. Grateful that so many commodities are easily available. Also very grateful for my home.

• I am grateful for the clear blue sky, warm sun and cool breezes that marked today.

• I'm grateful that my family and I appear to have avoided the COVID. I have two autoimmune diseases, so I take care with masks and sanitizing.