Home General ASD

Othering

AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
Why do we do it?
When we raise one group up at the expense of another group, despite having been originally a marginalised group, aren't we just repeating history.
I wonder as an autistic person, why we can endorse and engage in othering.
Is it part of the theory of mind idea?
...Just half thoughts I'm having atm.

Comments

• darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member
    Depends on what you mean by "raise."

In my mind, othering is just words and ideas. They may be unfair and untrue, but they are not terribly important unless they're part of a campaign of material mistreatment of the othered group. The othering group would have to have some kind of power over the othered group. Otherwise the othering is just people saying possibly untrue or unpleasant things that will have little or no social significance.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I try not to do it
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Depends on what you mean by "raise."

In my mind, othering is just words and ideas. They may be unfair and untrue, but they are not terribly important unless they're part of a campaign of material mistreatment of the othered group. The othering group would have to have some kind of power over the othered group. Otherwise the othering is just people saying possibly untrue or unpleasant things that will have little or no social significance.
    By raise I mean to elevate the satus of an individual or group.
    I'm prone to being hypervigilent.
    I think of it all as powerful, outside of a campaign, the individual has the power to introduce a target to a peer group, my observation is that many within the group will be receptive to this way of thinking.

Though, if I separate it into thoughts and actions, only some within the group will be receptive to acting on these thoughts.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Statest16 said:
    I try not to do it
    I feel that way too, I think I'm not easily led by others, I know its my own environmental piece when I have generalised thoughts about whole groups.

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Amity said:
    Statest16 said:
    I try not to do it
    I feel that way too, I think I'm not easily led by others, I know its my own environmental piece when I have generalised thoughts about whole groups.

Good to hear!