Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Fear of being naive

ClaritasClaritas New Member, Citizen, Member
I think a key thing that I really struggle with is a fear of being naive, I fear being too naive and opening in place where I'll be vulnerable and the like, that I'll end up being betrayed and/or losing respect and the like.

What advice do you have on this?

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Claritas said:
    I think a key thing that I really struggle with is a fear of being naive, I fear being too naive and opening in place where I'll be vulnerable and the like, that I'll end up being betrayed and/or losing respect and the like.

The key to not coming accoss as naive is listening to people carefully and giving an accurate response.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Claritas said:

Which is the biggest barrier to your goals Claritas... The fear or the naivety? Or is it more complex than either/or?

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    From my own lived experience, being naive has led to exploitative situations.
    Key to these negative situations was that I did not know that I was Autistic or later I did not have a full understanding of the ways that in essence I am socially blind.

Knowledge is empowering, I know better now, so I aim to do better by myself. I try to protect the side of me that people could take advantage of.

• ClaritasClaritas New Member, Citizen, Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I wanted to get to them but is suddenly got real late here. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.
  • I experience a combination of autistic naivety, and schizophrenic paranoia. I've had some less than pleasant online encounters because of it.
  • ClaritasClaritas New Member, Citizen, Member
    Amity said:
    Claritas said:

Which is the biggest barrier to your goals Claritas... The fear or the naivety? Or is it more complex than either/or?

It's a bit more complex, I want to get along with people, so it would be more of the fear being the problem. But on the other hand, if I go the opposite way and become naive, I may end up losing their respect for me.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Claritas said:

Oh believe me I was very naive and "young" for my age well into my 30s. I'm always learning.

A lot of so called "clued up" people, think there is nothing left to learn, these are the ones the get caught out.

It is better to fear being naive than be overconfident. You don;t wan to be under confident either, you are only going learn by making mistakes. Having a mentor that is sympathetic to that would help.

You sound like young entrepreneur in which case learning as much about you trade (such as farming basket weaving), even getting some direct work experience.

Have you heard of Gold Shaw Farm?

That is someone who started from scratch not from that background, had to learn as the went along.