Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening

firemonkeyfiremonkey Citizen
edited December 2022 in Mind and Body Wellbeing
I had my abdominal aortic aneurysm screening this morning. That was fine.However the woman doing it said I was a very interesting person. That was followed by saying the scan had picked up something unrelated to the aaa screening. The GP will now have to decide what to do, once he's seen the images. I'm a mix of anxious, curious and worried. My health anxiety has risen to the top. My daughter, who was with me, has said if it was anything really serious the woman would have flagged it as needing 'immediate/urgent attention.

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I wonder if it would be better for the patient to be told nothing at the screening stage, than to be told  vague tidbits...

I second your daughters opinion. If you trust her perception of the experience, then there is nothing concrete to worry about.

I wish more medical professionals understood just how much anxiety we can experience, that their words and actions can truly help or hinder our sense of wellness.
  • It was the juxtaposition of cheerfully saying I was a 'very interesting person', and then saying what she said at the end- that got to me.
  • Amity said:
    I wonder if it would be better for the patient to be told nothing at the screening stage, than to be told  vague tidbits...

As  a registered nurse I couldn't agree with you more Amity. The professional medical staff are usually thinking out loud and they are oblivious of the long lasting negative impact their comments have on the patients and their families. Firemonkey I agree with your daughter completely that if it were something serious then immediate tests and further investigative tests would have been requested. How is your mobility improving?
  • I walk in my flat unaided. There are things nearby to lean against if I feel a bit wobbly. My limit is taking  the washing  basket from the bedroom to the washing machine in the kitchen diner. Then I have to sit down for a bit.

Outside I use a stroller with a seat. At my virtual  consultation with the pdoc my daughter said I could walk about 50 metres with the stroller. I'm doing better than expected after the falls, but the likelihood of being as mobile as I was before the falls is less than 40% I would say. The widen open space outdoors is going to be more problematic re walking unaided.
  • Has anyone given you tips (Occupational Therapist?)on how to manage basic tasks more easily? I am not familiar with what is available in Britain but a little trolley or wagon that you can push in front of you perhaps with your feet with the  laundry basket on it, Just a wild thought, though I know that over here there are many specially designed gadgets available in order to aid the disabled to perform every day tasks.  Are you getting used to your new home? any contact with your neighbours?
  • Teach51 said:
    Has anyone given you tips (Occupational Therapist?)on how to manage basic tasks more easily? I am not familiar with what is available in Britain but a little trolley or wagon that you can push in front of you perhaps with your feet with the  laundry basket on it, Just a wild thought, though I know that over here there are many specially designed gadgets available in order to aid the disabled to perform every day tasks.  Are you getting used to your new home? any contact with your neighbours?

I've got one of these  and one of these
    I haven't used the latter one for ages. I can manage to carry the laundry basket, but it knackers me out somewhat. The stroller I use outside of my flat.

I'm now quite used to living here. The woman who is in the flat next to me has possible early stage dementia, and has tried more than a few times to get into my flat. Hence I keep  my door locked.If she got into my flat we'd both get stressed out. That would be bad for both of us.

I've seen a few of my neighbours, but have only had a very brief conversation with one of them. That's par for the course with me. I keep to myself a lot, and struggle with knowing how and when to approach people,initiate conversations.
  • I like the walker with the tub actually, laundry would be great in that. Things won't fall out on the way. 
  • I had scans done yesterday at the main hospital in the area. It took longer for my daughter to drive me there than to have the scans done. Very common kidney cysts. Usually don't require treatment.
  • That's good news f. My friend has been monitoring a cyst on her kidney for years, it shrank and eventually disappeared.