Home Life Skills

How do you do with managing your finances?

It's my best daily living skill, but I'm not exactly a great one at managing my finances. I do have direct debits set up to cover essentials. My CC is paid off,in full, each month by direct debit. I'm not in debt, but can be fairly impulsive. I like to have at least £3k in savings, but I'm currently £1K under that.

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I tend to be quite careful, to the point that it can be difficult to make major financial decision quickly.

Some people are motivate by not missing opportunities and sales, I don;t think that way at all. I see that as driving uncontrolled spending.

• I'm going to have  to be quite strict spending wise, for quite a few months, to get my finances to where I want them
    Do you have specific dietary requirements? You can eat pretty cheap with rice an beans. Will a little greens and the odd bit of meat its doable.
  • No dietary requirements. I'm not keen on beans and pulses, especially lentils. I tried dried soya once, by making a spaghetti bolognese with it. It was absolutely awful. I will eat some beans and pulses occasionally, and in small amounts . However I couldn't eat a regular and substantial amount of them.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I'm okay with finances so far. I opened a savings account recently and have started putting at least 20% of my income into it (though when my benefits kick in at my job and I have more things to pay like rent, car insurance, etc. I'm sure I won't be able to put away quite that much, I don't make a lot of money). I've been having to buy stuff for me and my rabbit Malo that my parents wouldn't get before though, and repay my aunt for stuff, so I've spent a bit more in the past month than I probably would have preferred to.
    edited May 2022
    There are often cheaper cuts or whole joint that will make muliple meals. Canned tuna is also good protein recommend it in water, but in oil is OK too.

You can buy decent clothes in Tk Maxx / Tj Maxx becuase they are end of line.

• I do very well with it.  My mom has joked I should do her money I do it so well.  One of my strengths I guess.  
  • Wow, okay looks like I'm the outlier here. I've been in moderate debt, had that cleared atvthe expense of ny credit score. Still hoping to buy a house but my savings equal zero. I can be quite conscientious for weeks then all it takes is a little slip up and I've dipping into the savings. It doesn't help that my income has been so low the past few years. I have pretty decent financial knowledge, its just putting it into practice and keeping track of things, especially if its a stressful week. It helps that I don't drink anymore, that made it impossible!
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I wouldnt say you are a complete outlier @BonanzaJay I've been bankrupt due to trusting my ex husband. Would have been homeless at one point, but for my mum helping us.
    Im more discerning with my trust these days ☺The experience helped me to come out the other side as a frugal person.