Home General ASD

Headbanging

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

Did anyone head bang as a kid to stim, or does anyone still do that?

I have memories of banging the back of my head against things to stim throughout my childhood, until I was probably 12 or so. I even remember headbanging in a high chair when I was a baby, and being told not to do it by my older siblings.

I don't do it as an adult because it's inappropriate, but I still get the urge to sometimes. If I have a really bad meltdown I also do still bang my head against things, but that's out of frustration and not to stim.

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I used to do repetitive rocking for hours a day until I'd say my late 20's .
    I have stopped and not done rocking 20 years.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I used to rock and do the headbanging thing as a baby and toddler. I still rock sometimes, but I don't do it all the time like I used to.
  • darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member
    I don't remember headbanging as a child, but I have a little as an adult. It temporarily makes migraines less painful. Maybe that's not the same thing you're talking about though .
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I do headbang sometimes to distract myself from headaches/migraines, and I've always done that. I only do it when I'm alone now though. When I was a kid and a younger teenager I would do it even around other people.