Home General ASD

DSM-5 TR

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
I've heard that the revision to the DSM-5 that's coming out this month is going to "refine" the criteria for ASD.

Does that seem concerning to anyone else, especially people without a diagnosis? I'm worried they're going to possibly make it more difficult to get diagnosed.

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I would have to know the details, do you know what this entails?
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I don't have any specifics on what they're changing, which is kind of why I'm worried. I haven't been able to find anything actually detailing what's being "refined". I guess I'll have to wait until the revision comes out, or someone gets the info and posts it somewhere.

I have seen people online say that they're refining it because it's being diagnosed "too much" now, but that seems to just be speculation. I'm hoping that's not why they're doing that.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I have seen no article I could saying that ASD may be re-defined in any way.

Do you have a link to an article?
    Statest16 said:
    I have seen no article I could saying that ASD may be re-defined in any way.

Do you have a link to an article?
    https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2022.1.20

"Diagnostic criteria have been revised for several disorders, primarily for clarification. These include changes in the criteria sets for the following diagnoses:
    • Autism spectrum disorder

• Manic episode

• Bipolar I and bipolar II disorder

• Cyclothymic disorder

• Major depressive disorder

• Persistent depressive disorder

• PTSD in children

• Avoidant-restrictive food intake disorder

• Delirium

• Substance/medication-induced mental disorders

• Attenuated psychosis syndrome (in the chapter “Conditions for Further Study”)"

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Are you considering pursuing a diagnosis Hylian?

Yes, I'd like to try to pursue a diagnosis. I've already been assessed twice and not given one, so the idea of the criteria becoming stricter is a bit nerve wracking.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Hylian said:
    Yes, I'd like to try to pursue a diagnosis. I've already been assessed twice and not given one, so the idea of the criteria becoming stricter is a bit nerve wracking.
    Find a doctor that will fight for you and preferably a PHD level therapist,they get more respect from the powers that be "SSA" etc.........
    I you feel they are there to make an objective decision and are not pro-actively fighting for you,get someone else.