Home General ASD

Masking

It's not something I'm aware of doing. I find it hard to process things in real time and adjust accordingly.WYSIWYG with me.  I don't doubt that it causes social communication issues. It's funny,in a 'this is odd' way, that  intellectually I'm verbally very good, but my social communication is reckoned to be at 'classical autism level'.

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Masking ASD is exhausting I wouldn't recommend it. Adapting is better, try were possible to do interaction on your terms.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    You can learn about human behviour to figure out how to interact to you advantage not your disadvantage. Focusing on what forms of communication and what context would work best for you.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Autistic masking, yikes.
    My thoughts on what it is have altered over the last 18 months.

I'm thinking of it now as any time I change from my natural ASD way of being to accomodate people without a disability.

Sometimes I feel even in the autism community that a degree of masking is expected.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    ^ I agree that even in the ASD community there's a degree of masking that is expected. I see that especially when autistics who can  easily express themselves online get irritated at autistics who aren't great at doing that. In a Discord server that I'm in there's almost no tolerance for people who aren't immediately understandable and it frustrates me.