Home Family Support

I haven't seen any of my birth family since 2018

In 2018 I saw my then 88 year old father. I think given his age and my stepmum's health future visits are unlikely. I've not seen my brother and sister since moving here in Sept 2017. My brother has mental health problems. He does email regularly. My sister has no such problems.Contact via FB is very infrequent. I have great difficulty getting to places, so my doing so is a non starter.

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Do you want to see them? Or do you want them to visit you?
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Your not alone in that scenerio.
    1.When a mother or father dies,siblings separate and grow apart.
    2.In general siblings separate as they get older.As people get older and have grandchildren and such they become more focused on there families and drift from there brothers and sisters.

I have seen these factors at work in my family too which I have not seen since 2019 myself.
  • verity said:
    Do you want to see them? Or do you want them to visit you?

Given my difficulty travelling,I'd like them to visit me.
    who are you closest to?
  • Difficult to say as both live in London. If meaning emotionally-my brother.
    Would there be a possibility of meeting half way with your brother. Would you reach out to him?
  • Half way would be somewhere like Henley on Thomas. To get to there from the station nearest to me would require 2 changes. It would be difficult.
    Could you meet in Reading or Oxford?

If you have motor issues it is reasonable to invite him to meet you.

• Forgot to say-  I'm currently using a Zimmer frame/walker indoors. Most I've walked unaided has been about 10 metres. Meeting halfway would have to be at a future date (presuming I can get full mobility back) Also would need very precise directions re getting there and back, as sense of direction is poor.
    I think the first step would be to get in contact with him try to arange regular calls. Then you can figure things out from there.