Home General ASD

The Relationship Between Generalised Joint Hypermobility and Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults

Abstract

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and generalised joint hypermobility (GJH) share a number of clinical manifestations including proprioceptive impairment, motor difficulties, sensory hypersensitivity, and autonomic dysfunction. Clinical observations suggest that GJH is overrepresented in ASD. However, there are currently few systematic studies available. Knowledge about comorbidities may unfold common aetiopathological pathways underlying the association and improve the clinical management. The aim of this large, cross-sectional comparative study is to evaluate the relationship between ASD and GJH in adults

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35211037/

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Im hypermobile, it took years of over extension to learn that just because my joints can move in that way, that they should move that way.

I worry about how  damage from this will impact on my quality of life in the coming years.

I didnt know that there were so many similarities from a clinical perspective.

proprioceptive impairment, motor difficulties, sensory hypersensitivity, and autonomic dysfunction.

The results of this study will be very interesting.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Hypermobity is associated with various genetic conditions that can be comorbid with ASD.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I have some hypermobile joints, including my hips. I couldnt sit "criss-cross-apple sauce" (lol) in Kindergarten because it made my hips feel like they were going to dislocate. A lot of my hypermobile joints have started to chronically hurt, which sucks.