Home Advocacy

A rare win.

I was told I wouldn't get any money back as I am of working age and the local gov dept does not have to according to the law. This was from a CAB (citizens advice bureau) consultant.

On the law website, there were some ambiguous statements around what was considered good cause and lots of tortuous reading but I was able to establish that I could appeal.

The support worker helping me with this process was not hopeful but said she would assist me and she was great. I put all my reasons, including ASD related difficulties and death in the family and where this money could be better spent due to my disabilities.

Yesterday the impossible happened. A letter dropped through my door and the responce was that they had 'revised its' original decision' and that it was 'in your(my) favour'.  I just stood there and stared not able to take it all in.

Sometimes we do win, even against the odds. Asking for help is worth it. I feel as though I have been freed up and less stressed.

Our next task is parking. One battle at a time. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Comments

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I'm so glad that this worked out for you, and that the support worker was willing to help (despite not being hopeful it'd turn out). How long did the whole process take you?
  • TemTem Citizen
    Thanks and nice to see you after I have been away so long.
    It took months to get a result, but they have a refusal policy I guess and expect people to go away or appeal - very few appeal.
    I have been over paying for nearly 2 years.

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Is this a win of a benefits case?
  • Hearty Congratulations, Tem!
  • Tem said:
    It took months to get a result, but they have a refusal policy I guess and expect people to go away or appeal - very few appeal.

Really happy for you! It is so good when things work out.☺

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Tem said:

Oh dear, that's quite a long time and must have been quite a lot of money! I'm glad that they finally agreed to refund you.
  • TemTem Citizen
    Statest16 said:
    Is this a win of a benefits case?
    Kind of a benefit, it was a reduction in a local gov housing tax. I paid in full so I was paying too much.

• TemTem Citizen
    Thanks Teach, it was stressful but worth it in the end.

Teach51 said:
    Tem said:

Really happy for you! It is so good when things work out.☺

• TemTem Citizen
    Hearty Congratulations, Tem!
    Thanks Kraftie, It was a relief.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    That is indeed a good outcome Tem, Im glad for you that amongst the difficulties you've faced you also got an "against the odds" win.
    Sometimes we do win, even against the odds. Asking for help is worth it. I feel as though I have been freed up and less stressed.
    Asking for help takes courage, I'm not always confident enough to take that risk, so I tip my hat to you and will remember this story.

• I’m so happy for you Tem. I’m proud of you for sticking it out. So glad the decision will help you out. Thanks so much for spreading the good news.