Home General ASD

The question I dread

It's inevitable that the question about what job you do, will be asked sooner or later on a forum/FB group. I hate it, not because it's  offensive  in itself ,  because it sends my self stigmatising into hyperdrive. #mentalillness  #Stigma  #ASD #ActuallyAutistic  

The guilt& shame of never having had a paid job. The total failure of  an attempt at voluntary work. It's always there waiting to come to the boil.

Comments

• Just say it’s none of their business,
  • It's inevitable that the question about what job you do, will be asked sooner or later on a forum/FB group. I hate it, not because it's  offensive  in itself ,  because it sends my self stigmatising into hyperdrive. #mentalillness  #Stigma  #ASD #ActuallyAutistic  

Then doesn't this reinforce the fact that those platforms are detrimental to your well being? Social media can be addictive especially to the lonely and insecure, but little that can contribute to a positive sense of self actually exists there. 

• Teach51 said:
    It's inevitable that the question about what job you do, will be asked sooner or later on a forum/FB group. I hate it, not because it's  offensive  in itself ,  because it sends my self stigmatising into hyperdrive. #mentalillness  #Stigma  #ASD #ActuallyAutistic  

Then doesn't this reinforce the fact that those platforms are detrimental to your well being? Social media can be addictive especially to the lonely and insecure, but little that can contribute to a positive sense of self actually exists there. 

I agree with Teach, the time you spend on social media seems to impact you and the way you see yourself negatively.
  • Teach51 said:

Those platforms are a mix of  good and not very good.  That's always been the case. The job question is one asked on a very wide range of forums/groups. There are pros and cons to forum and social media participation.

• Bender said:
    Teach51 said:

I agree with Teach, the time you spend on social media seems to impact you and the way you see yourself negatively.
      I  saw myself rather negatively way before being online.  Of course there are
    awful, nasty people on social media, but there are also good people.

• Just don’t tell them your employment status.  Chances are, some of these people are unemployed, too.
  • On the schizophrenia forum I go on more than a few are unemployed.
  • There you go🙂

The lesson is :  EVERYONE has SOMETHING to be “embarrassed” about.
  • I tend to be more open about my strengths and weaknesses than most people. Perhaps to a degree that could be called 'honest but naive'