Home General ASD

Not sure I belong here

It's probably due to my social ineptitude. Even with other autistic people I'm a bit of a reject.

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I am sort of like that too😉
  • But where do you get those feelings, Firemonkey?

Because I know you fit in just fine here.

Everybody likes you.
  • But where do you get those feelings, Firemonkey?

Because I know you fit in just fine here.

Everybody likes you.

It's a cross forum thing,  i.e something  that has occurred in many forums, with me being the constant factor. A combination of limited interests,a very basic lifestyle in which  little worth mentioning happens, a boring personality, difficulty making 'small talk' type posts etc 

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited August 2021
    I think you are very hard on yourself.

I think sometimes it is quite hard to come to terms with yourself being comfortable with yourself as you are, even if you might not always get the response you expect, I think also statistically speaking you are perfectly respectable, and I have tried to demonstrate this even though statistics are over rated anyway.

In a sense if you feel like that, you have come to the right place.

In reality we all have our ineptitudes and the might be why things might fall flat sometimes, becuase we all coming from a perspective of not nessiarily knowing how to approach things. Obviously not identical and some have learns certain things, but nobody should be made to feel inadequate. I mean a social / support group for people and run by people who struggle with social thing, is a little ironic. I say embrace the irony :)

If nothing else I want you to feel that feeling inept sometimes is ok on this forum, and you are welcome here.

For me people have a sort 'essence', and even if I don't have a direct comment on something you wrote, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy you being around. You are fixture now.
  • Thanks @verity.  I think it's events of the past, rather than the present, that fuel the feelings of inadequacy etc.
  • A sense of belonging is gradually built over time but it's well worth the effort in the correct environment. The ability to trust others also requires much patience and perseverance. 
    I cannot blame myself for what I lack, but I can utilize what I do have in order to help myself and others. Humanity is like that if we stop and think, we all possess something that can help others if we take the time to really evaluate what matters in life. Kindness and acceptance exist if we seek them in the right places.

I enjoy your posts firemonkey and I admire you as a human being. So glad that you are here!
  • Statest16 said:
    I am sort of like that too😉
    TBH I don't remember ever feeling I "belong" anywhere. I'm not sure how much it's me and how much the environment. I'm comfortable enough in some places, but I'm not sure I can even understand what belonging somewhere is supposed to feel like 🤨

Both you and firemonkey are very well-liked here for what it's worth - I'd say this applies to all regulars. 
  • Make yourself some macaroni and cheese 😉
    Bender said:

Both you and firemonkey are very well-liked here for what it's worth - I'd say this applies to all regulars. 
    Right I feel that too and I was trying to make that point so Firemonkey would stay.
  • Insecurity is a very hard thing to overcome. Throw in liberal amounts of imposter syndrome and it's even harder.
    Insecurity is a very hard thing to overcome. Throw in liberal amounts of imposter syndrome and it's even harder.
    You have an IQ of 167 I think right,how many people can say that,not even Einstein.
  • Statest16 said:
    Insecurity is a very hard thing to overcome. Throw in liberal amounts of imposter syndrome and it's even harder.
    You have an IQ of 167 I think right,how many people can say that,not even Einstein.
    168 is my best score.  Dr Bruce Charlton  has argued that the best score achieved is the truest score.  I'm open minded about that.

In other words there are a range of non-g related factors which might reduce the test score for non-g reasons.

This means that the most valid measurement of intelligence is the highest measure of intelligence in a person.

So the best way to measure intelligence is for a person to do a series of IQ tests on different occasions and to take the highest score as the true-est score.
    https://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-should-we-measure-general.html?fbclid=IwAR1tA3lpNan3OIwyQp6zfbLtXZNzW19sQY223IXv9e7b9Dq48-n_bOJmSIA

Most   methods I've come across give me an IQ score of 147-148.
    That tallies with what my father has said. He said originally that as a pre teen I'd scored around the 150 mark . A more specific '147' was mentioned in a later email.

I personally see that 168 IQ as I what can achieve   when all conditions are optimal.
    Statest16 said:
    168 is my best score.  Dr Bruce Charlton  has argued that the best score achieved is the truest score.  I'm open minded about that.

In other words there are a range of non-g related factors which might reduce the test score for non-g reasons.

This means that the most valid measurement of intelligence is the highest measure of intelligence in a person.

So the best way to measure intelligence is for a person to do a series of IQ tests on different occasions and to take the highest score as the true-est score.
    https://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-should-we-measure-general.html?fbclid=IwAR1tA3lpNan3OIwyQp6zfbLtXZNzW19sQY223IXv9e7b9Dq48-n_bOJmSIA

Most   methods I've come across give me an IQ score of 147-148.
    That tallies with what my father has said. He said originally that as a pre teen I'd scored around the 150 mark . A more specific '147' was mentioned in a later email.

I personally see that 168 IQ as I what can achieve   when all conditions are optimal.
    I never knew IQ  score's could fluctuate like that.

• Statest16 said:

I never knew IQ  score's could fluctuate like that.
    If you're looking at percentiles it's not hugely different .  147=99.9135767802%
    168=99.9997094213%