Home General ASD

Being talked to like a child

Saw an advanced nurse practitioner this morning re some physical health issues. My s/dau was with me. The ANP was amiable. A lot better than most health pros I've seen, but it was like she was talking to a child.

Admittedly I'm not great F2F, which is why my s/dau or a g/dau comes with me. However I'm not a total idiot(bit of a twat maybe), as a higher listed score than Dr Eick Sternhagen on the World genius directory shows.

OK, admittedly that was an 'Even Michael Chang won a grand slam' score, but I'm reasonably intelligent.

Comments

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I get talked to and treated like I'm a child quite often. I think I can be relatively responsible and competent, but my mannerisms and other things don't show that. I can't mask that well after going through burnout and then dealing with the pandemic, so I think sometimes my autism "shows" more than I'd like it to.
  • To  be fair to her she wasn't aggressive in doing so, as some other health professionals have been over the years.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    In my experience I've noticed a lot of people aren't necessarily trying to be rude or patronizing by acting like that. I think some people just think they are being more helpful by treating us as if we are children. When I get that type of behaviour from people I just ignore it if it doesn't prevent them from taking me seriously.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Saw an advanced nurse practitioner this morning re some physical health issues. My s/dau was with me. The ANP was amiable. A lot better than most health pros I've seen, but it was like she was talking to a child.

Admittedly I'm not great F2F, which is why my s/dau or a g/dau comes with me. However I'm not a total idiot(bit of a twat maybe), as a higher listed score than Dr Eick Sternhagen on the World genius directory shows.

OK, admittedly that was an 'Even Michael Chang won a grand slam' score, but I'm reasonably intelligent.
    I know what you're talking about - it's annoying as hell, but it has little to do with your intelligence. People can spot very fast if there are significant disparities between your cognitive and social, emotional or even physical intelligence, particularly someone who has training. It's not the first one that plays the biggest part in the way we interact and communicate with people, and particularly a flat/unconventional affect will be very confusing to them: they literally can't "read" you.
    To  be fair to her she wasn't aggressive in doing so, as some other health professionals have been over the years.
    I hate it if they're being pushy or condescending, otherwise, I try to suck it up because I understand how confusing we can be to people. Some people act this way towards foreigners too: it's not so much that they think they're stupid but they see them as strange and unknown entities. It can be very annoying but I try to remember that they don't really think I'm stupid and it's usually not malicious. Depending on how bad it is, it can be hard not to take it personally though.