Home General ASD

Another recommendation request

Let's say you want to help someone completely unfamiliar with Aspergers/Autism understand the basics without overwhelming them, what would you recommend aside Tony Atwood?

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I'm best familiar with the Donna Williams series and also Grandin's work.

Silberman's  2015 best seller   "Neuro Tribes" is good.

"Autism and Asperger's syndrome" by Lorna Wing/Uta Frith is good but very technical and more for  psychiatrists and doctors and not so much for lay persons.

"In a different key" is supposed to be good but I've never read it.

The Robison books like "Be Different" and "Look me in the eye" are good
  • BenderBender Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Oh, NeuroTribes, how could I forget? Great recommendations, thank you!
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Bender said:
    Let's say you want to help someone completely unfamiliar with Aspergers/Autism understand the basics without overwhelming them, what would you recommend aside Tony Atwood?
    It helped me enormously to watch Attwood on YouTube to understand a little about autism, also Baron Cohen and there is a Danish autistic psychologist who has some lectures on YouTube, who has excellent lectures. Here he is: Christian Stewart- Ferrer. I don't read books easily because of ADD so my resources are mainly visual/audial. It gave me some basic understanding of autism .

https://youtu.be/qpitsA-0pBQ

• BenderBender Citizen
    Thank you Teach, that's particularly useful because I don't watch videos myself, but I know other people prefer them! 
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
    https://youtu.be/HIrxgD3oqYc

Here is another good one.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    I really like Attwood and that particular video is great - just watched the whole thing myself lol.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Me too!!!! I watched it again also.😄
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Teach51 said:
    Me too!!!! I watched it again also.😄
    You're training me to overcome my aversion to videos 🎆

If you have any that helped you with AD(H)D, please share any time, I'm starting to get the hang of this 😄