Home General ASD

Who knows the real you?

AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
A question thats been with me since I started on the Autism discovery journey.

Not many people, perhaps just one, Verity. Others in my family might be close to knowing me as I am, but its only a part of me that they know.
Not sure some days if I know who I am either ☺

Who knows the real you?

Comments

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Same here - my wife. To the extent you can know anybody, yourself included 😁

The kids know me pretty well (but they're still on the young side) and so do a few very close friends. 

But she's the only one that really knows me, the whole thing. She saw me in all kind of circumstances and situations and I told her things nobody else knows.

Only someone who fully accepts you could get to know you that well: I wouldn't hesitate to show myself in a bad light or think of disguising what I think in any way.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I honestly don't know
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
     Amity said: Not sure some days if I know who I am either 
    This about sums it up. I have friends who know at least as much as I do who I am, I am still finding out new things that keep surfacing in therapy.

Bender said: Only someone who fully accepts you could get to know you that well: I wouldn't hesitate to show myself in a bad light or think of disguising what I think in any way.

I have close friends who know the uncensored story that is Teach.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Teach51 said:

Bender said: Only someone who fully accepts you could get to know you that well: I wouldn't hesitate to show myself in a bad light or think of disguising what I think in any way.

I have close friends who know the uncensored story that is Teach.
    This is a very good thing. Especially for trauma victims, it's very important to see that other people can accept and love them just as they are.
  • The person who knows me best is my husband. He knows who I am right now. He is observant and so tolerant. We both understand that over our lifespans we have been very different people. But we are now just content with now. There is no re-hashing of old stuff.

During the past year we have come to know each other better. We were both at home all day for months at a time. I was unable to hide as much as I used to. He still is accepting. 
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I don't think anyone really knows the "real" me, as I find letting anyone know the "real" me to be way too much vulnerability to handle. I like being alone because I can just be "me" without having to worry about being vulnerable.
  • I do. 
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Wulfnite said:
    I do. 
    In more than one way, this is actually quite rare.
  • Hylian, I prefer to be alone too. 

I think there is a lot of stuff rattling around in our brains that doesn’t need to be shared.