Home General ASD

Struggles with routine changes

I struggle with changing my routines. My mind usually wants to follow a predictable pattern even if it keeps me stagnant and unhappy. Such is the case with my dead end job. I hate it but I’ve been going to it for so long that whenever I try to look into things that could change my life, I remember that I have a work schedule and I worry whether or not trying something new will interfere with it. It will make me feel discouraged to the point I lose enthusiasm. 

Even if I have time to do things before and after work, I still have difficulties doing different things than I normally do though lately I’ve just been resting in my bed or the couch because anhedonia has robbed me of all my passions. 

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    edited May 2021

I have an opposite struggle, my mind has to constantly adjust to routine changes, I have been in a constant state of temporary employment and unemployment for too many years, with no end in sight.

I take time to adjust to the change in employment/unemployment, take weeks to settle into a new routine, reach a point where I have adjusted and figured out a way forward that has a balance in my life and for perhaps a month or two, I have the routine that I need.

Then I’m back anticipating the change in employment and searching for a new job and perhaps facing moving to a new house again so that I can have some work life balance instead of commuting.

Based on historical posts and a bigger context than this thread... I suggest that depression is in charge of your thoughts and not the real you, with that context in mind if you wish to speak about depression this thread can be moved to other conditions, if you wish to discuss a reciprocal Autism topic it can remain here.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I get intense anxiety whenever I am faced with even possible routine changes. I can't even handle going somewhere that I don't normally go to for a couple hours, or I spend the entire time there and the entire day afterwards internally freaking out.

My issue is kind of both autism and depression related at this point. Autism gives me the intense anxiety and reluctance, and depression takes away a lot of the energy that I normally have to deal with it. It's become very hard to force myself to do things and face changes to my life now due to it.
  • Amity said:

Based on historical posts and a bigger context than this thread... I suggest that depression is in charge of your thoughts and not the real you, with that context in mind if you wish to speak about depression this thread can be moved to other conditions, if you wish to discuss a reciprocal Autism topic it can remain here.

I do think wanting love and a happier life is the real me, not depression. 
  • If it gets moved, can I please post in it? 
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Amity said:
    if you wish to speak about depression this thread can be moved to other conditions, if you wish to discuss a reciprocal Autism topic it can remain here.
    As a Member you have access to limited sections of the site, you know this already from your previous journey to citizenship, the choice continues to be yours. You can continue replying to this line of thought or refocus on the topic, which you have two replies for and you have not replied to either.

• edited May 2021
    Amity said:
    Amity said:
    if you wish to speak about depression this thread can be moved to other conditions, if you wish to discuss a reciprocal Autism topic it can remain here.
    As a Member you have access to limited sections of the site, you know this already from your previous journey to citizenship, the choice continues to be yours. You can continue replying to this line of thought or refocus on the topic, which you have two replies for and you have not replied to either.

I actually did reply to your earlier post, even if it was just part of it. For some reason, I didn’t see Hylian’s reply until yesterday. 
  • I am going through group therapy but it’s already feeling difficult since I have to force myself to get up at a time I am normally asleep. I don’t know how long I will last with this.