Home General ASD

Just had a mild anxiety attack

S/dau does my grocery shopping . I send her a list. That's usually done on Saturday and Sunday. Got completely thrown because she's just asked for the list, and I hadn't done one. It might seem silly. Was hyperventilating a bit.

Comments

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    https://youtu.be/CQjGqtH-2YI

This really eases my anxiety attacks, I use it all the time. Breathe in through the nose say 12345678 then breathe out through the nose also a double count 1234567891011 12 1314 15 16 etc. She explains in the video the effect on the nervous system. Feel good firemonkey.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Surprises in general, even good ones can throw me off.
    Panic attacks suck, do you get other symptoms along with the hyperventilating?
  • Amity said:
    nausea sometimes.

• Teach51 said:
    https://youtu.be/CQjGqtH-2YI

This really eases my anxiety attacks, I use it all the time. Breathe in through the nose say 12345678 then breathe out through the nose also a double count 1234567891011 12 1314 15 16 etc. She explains in the video the effect on the nervous system. Feel good firemonkey.

Thank you. I'll try that.

• BenderBender Citizen
    Amity said:
    This. I thought I was the only person left on earth who would hate things like a surprise party 😉

firemonkey, I agree that breathing exercises help. Have you tried keeping a notebook around and writing down during the week when you run out of something or you remember you need something? It's what I do for my grocery lists and it helps to make the task less daunting.

• I have a text file that I edit each week depending on what I need. It's not a hard thing to do if not having to rush to do it. 

In the end shopping was not done because my gt granddaughter was having problems at nursery. She gets hysterical and tearful when her mum/my stepdau/her father leave. I think its due to her not seeing many people due to shielding and lockdown . I get the feeling this is going to happen quite a lot with other children too.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I have a text file that I edit each week depending on what I need. It's not a hard thing to do if not having to rush to do it. 

In the end shopping was not done because my gt granddaughter was having problems at nursery. She gets hysterical and tearful when her mum/my stepdau/her father leave. I think its due to her not seeing many people due to shielding and lockdown . I get the feeling this is going to happen quite a lot with other children too.
    Ahh yes being at home with mum and dad during lockdown would have been lovely for many children, this plus all the messages young children pick up on about the dangers that exist in the world is creating difficulties settling back into old routines for some children. Though for many they adjust within a couple of weeks.