Home General ASD

NDs and NTs

NTs tend to think I'm weird. Highly vocal NDs can be intimidating. Many from both groups make me feel ill at ease.Both can be demanding &intolerant.

Comments

• magpiemagpie Citizen
    Maybe just people can be demanding and intolerant, sometimes without realising it.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited May 2021
    NTs tend to think I'm weird. Highly vocal NDs can be intimidating. Many from both groups make me feel ill at ease.Both can be demanding &intolerant.
    My emotional calibration tends to effect how my receptors respond to loud, aggressive people, or  people who breach my boundaries of emotional comfort. It can be a result of conditioned fight or flight response that makes me shut down or attack depending on how threatened and uncomfortable I feel. I don't really care any more how I am "received" by other people as long as I adhere to my own moral compass and I create clear boundaries for toxic people that I cannot avoid. Emotional trauma tends to dictate to me to sift out of my life the people who trigger unease and discomfort and guide me towards those whose inherent goodness and integrity shine through. I have the fundamental right to my feeling of well being and safety and though I tend to isolate a great deal the people who are welcomed into my heart have been closely vetted and awarded the Teach seal of approval. I am trying to implement a new tool, if people shout or are aggressive I try and ground myself and  remember to say quietly "I don't like anger and people raising their voices, can you please come back when you are calm?" Or "I don't like being shouted at." Then walk away. This just expresses how I feel and does not blame the other person so it does not fuel the argument. I am trying to condition myself to use this as a template when I get flooded with emotional responses.

@firemonkey does this sense of unease with certain people fluctuate according to accumulated stress or events?
    My tolerance levels of people and the resulting unease  varies immensely and is often directly related to being emotionally overloaded and my triggered neurological memory banks..
    BTW did your step daughter enjoy her day with friends and manage to do your shopping?

• Teach51 said:

@firemonkey does this sense of unease with certain people fluctuate according to accumulated stress or events?
    My tolerance levels of people and the resulting unease  varies immensely and is often directly related to being emotionally overloaded and my triggered neurological memory banks..
    BTW did your step daughter enjoy her day with friends and manage to do your shopping?

There are certainly times when I'm more emotionally vulnerable. There's an aggressiveness that comes through with quite a lot of  the autistic people on Twitter. Sometimes it can be hard to deal with. It can be like walking through a minefield re what terms you should or shouldn't use.

My stepdaughter had a good time. It was a close friend she'd not seen for a fair while as they'd had a falling out.The shopping got done. Ideally when Covid's less of an issue it would be good to go shopping with her again. I say 'ideally',because
    as things are my lower back wouldn't be up to walking round the supermarket.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Could it be that Twitter is not a suitable platform for you and is not contributing to your sense of well being? What are the pros and cons?
  • Pros: Exchanging views about ASD/mental health/politics.
    https://www.nationalelfservice.net/author/samei-huda/ retweets some of my tweets, and we respond to each other.

Cons: Quite a lot of thoroughly nasty people. Especially ,though not exclusively, re politics. I've had to block quite a lot of people.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    magpie said:
    Maybe just people can be demanding and intolerant, sometimes without realising it.
    This is so true.