Home General ASD

Do you info-dump?

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
(I posted this discussion on WP last night, but I thought I'd also post it here.)

Do you info-dump when you talk to other people about your interests, and do you like when other people info-dump to you?

If you info-dump, does it cause issues for you? Do you let yourself info-dump or do you try not to?

I info-dump a lot and that's the main way I like to talk with people. I like sharing information about things that interest me, so if someone brings up a topic I like or know a lot about my first instinct is to start sharing any relevant information that I have about that topic.

I also like when people info-dump to me since I get to learn new things, and I like when people are comfortable enough to talk about their interests like that to me.

Info-dumping causes issues for me though since most people don't like it. They find it annoying, so I try to avoid doing it. It's hard because if someone mentions something I'm interested in I'll start talking about it and sharing info about it without noticing until afterwards, or until someone seems noticeably annoyed/bored. I try to stay quiet IRL most of the time because of the fact it's even harder for me to control it there, and I always bore people whenever I talk.
Do you like to info-dump?
  1. Do you info-dump?3 votes
    1. I do.
      66.67%
    2. I don't.
      33.33%
  2. Do you like when other people info-dump?3 votes
    1. I like it.
      66.67%
    2. I don't like it.
      33.33%
  3. Do you have issues due to info-dumping?3 votes
    1. It causes issues for me.
      33.33%
    2. It doesn't cause issues for me.
      66.67%

Comments

• KaramazovKaramazov Citizen
    edited May 2021
    I’m not sure how to answer that! 😂
    I definitely did, and I can still ramble on quite a bit: but I tend to let other people set the subject of conversation: response to the embarrassment when I had to have it pointed out to me that I’d carried on talking long enough for the other person to fall asleep... and wake up again... without me noticing 😳😂
  • My preferred conversational style isn't quite "info-dumping," but it's certainly not mainstream Western NT-style chit chat either.  I guess my conversational style could be described as a mix of info-dumping and Socratic questioning.

I prefer, as friends, people who have a similar conversational style, and who thus impress me as deep thinkers.

I don't use this style with everyone.  For example, with neighbors I usually just do greetings and very brief routine small talk.  I don't regard most of my neighbors as potential friends.

I do use my preferred communication style with everyone whom I do regard as a friend or potential friend, and in the past I've always used it with potential romantic partners as well.  I've always felt that having a compatible preferred conversational style was essential to true companionship, so there was no point in changing it.

And I did manage to make some good friends with a similar conversational style.  (Alas, the closest friends I made, back in my twenties, are no longer living.)

Looking back on it, I think that my preferred conversational style, with its focus on information and ideas, may have protected me from getting involved in abusive relationships.  Based on what I've read and heard, potentially abusive people are more likely to prefer the kind of conversation that revolves around mutual flattery rather than exchanging information and ideas.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I have done. My dad does it too.

It can sometimes be good, but is can also cause issues.

I think if you are trying to get a quick response, info dumping can by trying, but I'm guilty of that myself.

I would say I was more prone to it, but try to pace myself now. It can be hard to resist the urge to say something sometimes, but it isn't always opportune.

I would describe my thinking as lateral, which means if something trigger a lateral connection/memory I have a strong urge to mention it. As my recall is lateral and my on demand recall is less good, it not so much that I like it, but in part there is a fear I will not be able to recall it again.

Having said I do enjoy an inepth topic, sometime.

I have been liken to an encyclopaedia, becuase of this. 

I'm no always so talkative though. The way i show my emotions isn't through speak.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    verity said:
    I have done. My dad does it too.

It can sometimes be good, but is can also cause issues.

I think if you are trying to get a quick response, info dumping can by trying, but I'm guilty of that myself.

I would say I was more prone to it, but try to pace myself now. It can be hard to resist the urge to say something sometimes, but it isn't always opportune.

I would describe my thinking as lateral, which means if something trigger a lateral connection/memory I have a strong urge to mention it. As my recall is lateral and my on demand recall is less good, it not so much that I like it, but in part there is a fear I will not be able to recall it again.

Having said I do enjoy an inepth topic, sometime.

I have been liken to an encyclopaedia, becuase of this. 

I'm no always so talkative though. The way i show my emotions isn't through speak.
    I sometimes notice that I get the urge to share info because I'm worried I wont be able to recall it later, too. It makes it a lot harder to filter myself.

I also get called an encyclopedia by people, since I can dump a bunch of info about topics I've been interested in before and can remember the info for a long time.

I don't really get the "urge" to socialize/talk much unless I am sharing things I know about with someone, so I am very quiet IRL since I try not to do that a lot and have nothing else I want to talk about. lol
  • BenderBender Citizen
    I do and I like it when others do it too if they know what they're talking about. I like learning new things and I'm fascinated by people who have amassed an impressive amount of knowledge and understanding of a subject, even if I'm not necessarily that interested in the subject myself.

It used to cause issues when I was oblivious to when and with whom I can do it. These days I'm more aware of these factors and I can read body language much better and can usually tell when someone gets bored or annoyed.

Sometimes I still suspect that people might get overwhelmed or annoyed by my tendency of giving elaborate answers or input, even if it's usually a sign that I take something very seriously and give it some thought. It's actually a sign that I care about the person and our exchange.

As a side note, some NTs do this too when they're passionate about something, even if they might be more aware of when they shouldn't do it. I have at least two friends who can ramble about their hobby for hours 😂 I let them do it even if I'm not interested because I understand the need and I like them. These kinds of exchanges can sometimes be beneficial for both sides 😉

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Lol I am a rambler myself.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    What the hell is info dumping,I have no idea what your talking about.
  • Talking at great length and detail about some thing or tipis you find interesting, without noticing (or considering) that the other person isn’t really interested.

A related term from Sci-Fi/fantasy writing is “expo-dumping”: when an author spends many pages explaining the entire backstory of their fictional universe without break right at the front of a novel... usually regarded as a bad thing to do (“just get on with the story!”)
    Karamazov said:
    Talking at great length and detail about some thing or tipis you find interesting, without noticing (or considering) that the other person isn’t really interested.

A related term from Sci-Fi/fantasy writing is “expo-dumping”: when an author spends many pages explaining the entire backstory of their fictional universe without break right at the front of a novel... usually regarded as a bad thing to do (“just get on with the story!”)
    So in other words being superfluous like a college professor or something.
  • Statest16 said:
    Karamazov said:
    Talking at great length and detail about some thing or tipis you find interesting, without noticing (or considering) that the other person isn’t really interested.

Yeah, giving the other person far more information than they want or need because you’re just too busy having fun talking about the subject.  
    Karamazov said:
    Statest16 said:
    Karamazov said:

Yeah, giving the other person far more information than they want or need because you’re just too busy having fun talking about the subject.  
    It can happen when one is excited about what they are talking about.I think "superfluous" works,not sure why the millenials had to invent a new term but there millenials so what makes sense.

And don't say Ok Boomer cause I'm Gen-X
  • Statest16 said:
    Karamazov said:
    Statest16 said:
    Karamazov said:

It can happen when one is excited about what they are talking about.I think "superfluous" works,not sure why the millenials had to invent a new term but there millenials so what makes sense.

And don't say Ok Boomer cause I'm Gen-X
    Probably the result of needing a term for it, and not knowing one already exists 🤔
    Oh well: multiple redundancies in terminology can be of use to novelists, poets & songwriters 🤷‍♂️
    That would be very interesting
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Bender said:

Sometimes I still suspect that people might get overwhelmed or annoyed by my tendency of giving elaborate answers or input, even if it's usually a sign that I take something very seriously and give it some thought. It's actually a sign that I care about the person and our exchange.
    I info-dump way too much to people that I like a lot. Someone on WP mentioned that they like to text people facts/small info-dumps, and I do that to my friends and partners without thinking whenever I learn something that I think is cool. lol

Fortunately the people I've been friends with usually don't mind since they info-dump, too, and will talk with me about those things or just start a different convo instead of getting upset at me over it.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    edited May 2021
    My social circle has become smaller over time and I bounce between a large volume to say and one liners lol, not so much the middle ground.
    I info dump in work regularly, as part of my role, so that satisfies the percieved verbose aspect of me.
    When Im out of work, I tend to follow my new interests and research them to my hearts content and unsuspecting people in my small circle get the full benefit of this research. 😜
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Finding a role that enables info- dumping must be  a dream come true for an ASD info sponge.😄