Home Life Skills

Unable to set goals or make lists

I’ve been told I need to set goals for myself and to make lists of things I want. But I am unable to do either. It’s like my execution function can’t handle either task and it frustrates me because I am 32. I feel like my brain is malfunctioning and can’t be fixed. 

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I have bad executive function, so I relate.

Instead of a list get white board (they are not that expensive). Have it in a central location, any time you think of something just go to it and write it down anywhere on the board. Don't beat yourself up over whether you are flowing or not. It can be a cumulative process.

The main message do what you can don't beat yourself up. Motivation does come with persistence, but beating yourself up is conditioning yourself to pre-empt failure.
  • verity said:
    I have bad executive function, so I relate.

Instead of a list get white board (they are not that expensive). Have it in a central location, any time you think of something just go to it and write it down anywhere on the board. Don't beat yourself up over whether you are flowing or not. It can be a cumulative process.

The main message do what you can don't beat yourself up. Motivation does come with persistence, but beating yourself up is conditioning yourself to pre-empt failure.

That's a great idea Verity, I might do that myself.