Home Family Support

I forbid my daughter to go to a birthday party

That was a painful decision. Half of her class will be there.

I tried to explain it to her the best I could. The cases are growing and the intubated patients' mean age is dropping, people under 40 being no longer rare. There are no available hospital beds in this city and rarely any available in the 100km radius of it. People from car accidents go to hospitals with their own transport because there are no ambulances available. Remote schooling has a reason in such circumstances.

I find it extremely irresponsible to organize a birthday party right now, even if it's technically not illegal. I'm sorry for my daughter, I know she's extremely disappointed but... there are human lives at stake :(

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    You did the right thing. You can't control outer people's irresponsibility unfortunately.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Even if it wouldn't be necessary that risky for her, she could still put others at risk if she catches it.

I agree with you about the party being irresponsible.

Is she old enough to understand your reasons? It's going to be disappointing anyway, so could you try to compensate by doing something she loves and doesn't get to do that often with her that day that doesn't involve groups of people? Make it into a different kind of special and fun day?
  • magpiemagpie Citizen
    She's 8 and I think she does understand it... she asked for "a little party at home, with sweets". I think we can do that.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    magpie said:
    She's 8 and I think she does understand it... she asked for "a little party at home, with sweets". I think we can do that.
    It's actually a good sign that she asked for something. Sometimes we have to tell our kids no without it being their fault. In my experience with such instances, it's best to offer something in return, so they wouldn't get the idea that doing the right thing is a form of punishment.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Ahh thats a hard one, but the right decision.

Community transmission through gatherings is a significant issue here.
    Locally there was a kids birthday party (prohibited) where one member of the host household had covid, all attending contracted it and now a few weeks later its spread across 3 communities and 2 schools with an estimate of 60+ infections.

A party night sounds like it could be fun, as a child I loved celebrations that included playing charades, card games and board games with the adults in my life.
    Or maybe the party could have a simple costume theme, they like princess fantasy play, maybe you and Mr Magpie could join in with improvised princess/prince costumes... a bit of play and silly fun helps everyone.☺

• At least your daughter seems to be taking it well.
  • magpiemagpie Citizen
    We have homemade pizza tonight.
  • That's nifty that you could make pizza from scratch!
  • magpie said:
    That was a painful decision. Half of her class will be there.

I tried to explain it to her the best I could. The cases are growing and the intubated patients' mean age is dropping, people under 40 being no longer rare. There are no available hospital beds in this city and rarely any available in the 100km radius of it. People from car accidents go to hospitals with their own transport because there are no ambulances available. Remote schooling has a reason in such circumstances.

I find it extremely irresponsible to organize a birthday party right now, even if it's technically not illegal. I'm sorry for my daughter, I know she's extremely disappointed but... there are human lives at stake :(
    Well done Magpie. I would have made the same decision. 
  • magpiemagpie Citizen
    She seems to have accepted it... she's playing with her sister now, no sign of lingering sadness.
    It's good to at least have a sibling in similar age.
    Oh, and there is an exciting news - larger apartaments are becoming more available in our neighborhood, for prices we could afford... the girls may get separate rooms soon! We'll be seeing one today. That's something to be excited about in the pandemic bleakness :)
  • magpie said:
    She seems to have accepted it... she's playing with her sister now, no sign of lingering sadness.
    It's good to at least have a sibling in similar age.
    Oh, and there is an exciting news - larger apartaments are becoming more available in our neighborhood, for prices we could afford... the girls may get separate rooms soon! We'll be seeing one today. That's something to be excited about in the pandemic bleakness :)

That is excellent news! It is so important to have something to look forward to. 

Best of luck
  • BenderBender Citizen

Fingers crossed!
  • That's what I like about kids: they tend to be very resilient and forgiving....
  • How did it go Magpie? Did you like the apartment?

• magpiemagpie Citizen
    Yes. The kids were delighted, they already chose their bedrooms :D
    That's a big thing, the process of moving will take time but the apartament is really something we'd like to move in :)
  • Great news magpie and good job with your daughter. 
  • magpie said:
    Yes. The kids were delighted, they already chose their bedrooms :D
    That's a big thing, the process of moving will take time but the apartament is really something we'd like to move in :)
    Excellent!!!!!!! That's such good news, I am very happy for you and your family.❤
  • magpiemagpie Citizen
    edited March 2021
    The main issue, probably the thing lowering the price, is 4th floor without elevator - but actually, I find incorporating a bit of cardio into my daily life a good thing. And it makes our most pushy relatives - who happen to be obese - unlikely to visit 😝
  • magpie said:
    The main issue, probably the thing lowering the price, is 4th floor without elevator - but actually, I find incorporating a bit of cardio into my daily life a good thing. And it makes our most pushy relatives - who happen to be obese - unlikely to visit 😝

That's my girl!!!☺

Fantastic news.