Home› General ASD

Sensitivity to Radiation

darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member
I've been in two separate situations in which I've found that my unexplained chronic fatigue was caused by an Internet router. I thought switching off the wi-fi and using only Ethernet would be enough, but I've had to keep the router covered with a metal container. Just some information in case anyone here is experiencing unexplained fatigue. I've heard of autistic people being affected by the electricity running through the walls of their homes. Unverified Internet story, but certainly possible.

Comments

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I have never experienced anything like this. I can use and be around electronics just fine, and aside from previously being able to hear the ringing of them I've never had any affects from them. I do have chronic fatigue, which seems to be due to autoimmune issues and anemia from those issues.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I've been in two separate situations in which I've found that my unexplained chronic fatigue was caused by an Internet router. I thought switching off the wi-fi and using only Ethernet would be enough, but I've had to keep the router covered with a metal container. Just some information in case anyone here is experiencing unexplained fatigue. I've heard of autistic people being affected by the electricity running through the walls of their homes. Unverified Internet story, but certainly possible.

I can see how low level sensory triggers impact on Autistics with more sensory sensitivities than repetitive behaviours.

The ticking clock for noise sensitivity, a light bulb catching the corner of the eye for light sensitivity etc.
    Things no one else would typically notice.

When I'm ill, have an underlying condition flare up, am emotionally overwhelmed, or anxious etc, my sensitivity levels are quite intense by comparison to the days when I'm not experiencing any of the above. 
    It's in these situations that I run out of spoons and feel fatigued.
  • pangolinpangolin New Member, Member
    The possibility of radiation being a sensory trigger in autistic people is not entirely out of this world but I do find it hard to comprehend the precise mechanisms of it. I'm also unsure if networking hardware operates on radiation. Its operations may be categorised under a different form of energy or a subcategory of radiation.

I do experience a chronic fatigue which I believe is a combination of subconscious sensory processing and the overexertion of my brain's executive functions, which I'll likely elaborate on in a new discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar issue in your case in which your brain is subconsciously processing some sort of sensory input coming from your router.
  • darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member

@pangolin said:
    The possibility of radiation being a sensory trigger in autistic people is not entirely out of this world but I do find it hard to comprehend the precise mechanisms of it. I'm also unsure if networking hardware operates on radiation. Its operations may be categorised under a different form of energy or a subcategory of radiation.

Well WiFi is definitely based on radiation; electromagnetic radiation is the only (known?) way signals can travel between two machines that are physically unconnected. Most other forms of energy transfer (electrical,mechanical,etc.) require the bodies to be in contact.

I wouldn't call it a "sensory trigger" because I don't experience it as something I pick up specifically by sight,sound,touch,taste, or smell; it just makes me tired. Radiation is a form of energy transfer, energy transfered to cells effects the cells, cells carry out processes that supply living things with the energy needed to live, so to me it makes sense that a living thing exposed to radiation might experience problems related to energy/fatigue.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited September 2023

Sunlight is radiation, but it is a different type of radiation to radiative material.

Sunlight has a greater intensity of radiation and (an wide range of wavelengths) then wifi or microwave signals. Though the sun is actually a source of microwave radiation too.

Not all radiation is the same. When you turn on a cooker or light a fire it is heating through radiant heat. That is heat radiation but not radioactive. It is only when you heat something up directly like a solid would you hvae direct heat. It only when you have air or some fluid current would you have convection heating. Heat is as a result of work, but one common result from work is radiation. If you heat up a stone or iron pan, as it cool it is still emitting radiant heat and has an effect on ambient temperature.

So really radiation is all over and very normal part of the physical world.

Mobile phone have a more powerful signal to WIfi, both are between radio waves and microwaves.

So if you do have a sensitivity to Wifi it is not due to power or intensity. It woudl have to be soemthing very specific to that range.

The question is if you were living in a Faraday cage, and you could receive no Wifi signal from outside and you were randomly on different days either receiving a wifi signal internally or nothing, and those doing test wouldn't know which until after, would you be able to tell the difference?

Whether we have this sensitivity what I woudl be careful of is scams aimed at mitigating Wifi signals. If a router is working correctly it is picking up a signal some random coil object, etc won't be doing anything to mitigate the signal. Not that I'm saying you would be fooled but I have personally know people fooled by this and it cna be an expensive pice of junk. If it is interrupting a signal itis using a signal itself an is likely more powerful still.

• darkcloak_dragondarkcloak_dragon New Member, Member

@verity said:
    Sunlight has a greater intensity of radiation and (an wide range of wavelengths) then wifi or microwave signals. Though the sun is actually a source of microwave radiation too.

So really radiation is all over and very normal part of the physical world.
    Mobile phone have a more powerful signal to WIfi, both are between radio waves and microwaves.
    So if you do have a sensitivity to Wifi it is not due to power or intensity. It woudl have to be soemthing very specific to that range.

Not necessarily. I also feel tired after sitting out in the sun all day. I avoid mobile phones, so I can't say how they would make me feel. The issue with routers is that I'm very close to them for most of the day, every day. I'm sitting less than three feet from my router right now. I used to sleep less than six feet from a router all night. The amount of exposure time and proximity are probably crucial.

The question is if you were living in a Faraday cage, and you could receive no Wifi signal from outside and you were randomly on different days either receiving a wifi signal internally or nothing, and those doing test wouldn't know which until after, would you be able to tell the difference?

No, because it's not the actual signal I was consciously detecting. I simply noticed that fatigue coincided with my proximity to a functioning router and went away when I took steps to attenuate the signal. This is what I described in the original post, and in my most recent post. And I suspect that at least several days of that exposure were required to produce the fatigue I noticed.

Whether we have this sensitivity what I woudl be careful of is scams aimed at mitigating Wifi signals.

Well, people need to have some idea of how Internet access works to avoid scams. What I would tell everyone is that, in the context of a home network, it's free to shut off the wifi and use Ethernet.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited September 2023

You can definitely work through a process of elimination. While you probably don't have a Faraday cage handy what you suggested could be tested.

Mobile signal being stronger and is prevalent in populated areas, you would expect there to be an effect under this hypothesis unless there is something specific to wifi's signal or there is something other than signal you are getting from proximity.

If you wanted to reduce your exposure to a signal you would have to have some idea of the strength of signal an electromagnetic radiation in there area. That requires passive detection, or detection with a nominal amount of EMR.

Having said that if you use Ethernet cables and you feel better s a result that is great, it almost doesn't matter as to why, what matter s is you feel better.