Are you "noticeably autistic"?

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
Is it apparent to other people that you have autism, or less specifically something "wrong" with you?

I can tell that other people know something is "wrong" with me because they react to me like they think I'm odd, and sometimes people avoid interacting with me due to it. I also get stared at sometimes.

People have treated me like this my whole life and it can frustrate me. I usually don't know why people are reacting like that since I try to act "normal", so it makes me self conscious and want to avoid interacting with others.

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    edited August 8
    I'm not noticeably autistic in the sense that people know I'm autistic.At age 47 I have learned to blend in.I am noticeable in the sense that I am to different to be taken seriously or viewed as being part of other people's groups,in other words I'm seen as an outsider.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Not in passing. If people get to knwo me well (if I let them), then it is hard to hide.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Most people don't pinpoint that I'm specifically autistic, though I think they can tell I'm developmentally delayed in some way. I get treated like a kid by others, if they don't treat me like I'm odd.
  • At prep school they said I was the 'missing link'. At public school a classroom of boys directed monkey chans at me.I've had people laugh at me when I'm walking outside. Due no doubt to my odd gait.
    In elementary school I was bullied a lot because I was obviously "different" from other kids. People also sometimes stare at me when I walk or do other activities involving motor skills, because I'm very uncoordinated and have a really bad sense of balance.
  • WizardryWizardry Citizen, Mentor
    I know it's been apparent enough to some people based on how I've been treated in the past. I think sometimes I can blend in, but in certain situations, my autism shows.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    The older I get, the more aware I'm becoming of how I didn't blend in, even though I felt at the time that I had successfully masked my differences. In that sense yes I feel noticably Autistic.

Noticeably Autistic to others though... I dont think there is enough awareness of what Autism is for people to really pinpoint how I appear differently to a person without Autism.
    I'm likely being very literal here though.

No one who knew me as a child could believe I was Autistic when I told them, but after explaining how I was typical for an Autistic girl, they could sort of understand, but still felt that I was just sensitive or quiet etc in a typical way.
  • SlyFoxSlyFox Citizen, Member
    edited September 2
    no and its bad and good.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I can relate to that feeling Slyfox
  • Yes, I absolutely am.  I flap my hands, make noises, have awkward body language, and people tell me I often have odd facial expressions.  If I'm alone in public sometimes people walk up to me and ask me if I'm okay or if I need help.  Sometimes I will say no thank you I don't need help but sometimes they insist that I do and won't leave me alone and it's really annoying.  Nowadays when I go out I bring my aide with me, it's just too much otherwise. 
  • Noticeably "off," especially now that I'm too tired/disinclined to act normal, but I doubt many would guess autism. I'm typically seen as much younger than I am; who knows what people see besides that.
    I get asked if I'm okay a lot, too. I also get seen and treated as if I'm a lot younger than I am.
  • MoonikaMoonika New Member, Member
    edited November 25
    Yes, every day of my life, throughout the day I get looks, giggles, mean people teasing me. Definitely know what's 'wrong' with myself now. Because I don't mask and care as much as I used to, it became way more severe.
  • Moonika said:
    Yes, every day of my life, throughout the day I get looks, giggles, mean people teasing me. Definitely know what's 'wrong' with myself now. Because I don't mask and care as much as I used to, it became way more severe.
    There are a lot of unpleasant non-thinkers who are governed by their base emotional needs rather than their intellect.
    Where I come from, they are called "troglodytes". 🤓

• MoonikaMoonika New Member, Member
    edited November 29
    Sheldon said:
    Moonika said:
    There are a lot of unpleasant non-thinkers who are governed by their base emotional needs rather than their intellect.
    Where I come from, they are called "troglodytes". 🤓

Yes, and their whole science is skewed, times and times again they confuse eccentricism with insanity and stupidity or lack of ability and talent, and disregard the obvious, the label is everything to them. 

Times and times they mistake big brands and all black for good fashion. 

Times and times they show lack of knowledge about international styles. 

Times and times again they confuse freedom for manipulation and vice-versa, and have no idea about the differences between wearing something and what one believes and how one feels. 

Needing to know a person is what makes people become far away from knowing. The more they seek it and need it, the bigger the failure, also because of the problem with the lack of knowledge and education. Like my friend would say, 'overpopulation, undereducation.' Quality is superior, we end up teaching these people's kids when they get online and suicidal. 
  • I have an odd gait and rather poor coordination. That makes me stand out even if I say nothing. I can be spoken to as if I'm a bit simple minded, even though  only 1 in >1000  of  such people is actually more intelligent than me.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I got a haircut yesterday and the woman who cut my hair reffered to me in the third person.Made me wonder why?