Home Advocacy

Autism, C19 and Do Not Resuscitate

2»

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited January 2022
    > The covid pandemic brought to the fore the rationing of care, such as ventilators. I don’t remember right now the success rate of ventilator treatment in managing covid, but it is pretty low.  In general, if a patient goes on a ventilator, the patient is likely to die. Like I said, it isn’t hopeless, but it is low.

If the patent is fully intubated the success rate is lower yes, but they have completely change the whole approach to treating late stage covid. Proning increased success and the drugs are better.

Ventilation can mean a lot of different things. Fully intubated you aren't in control of you body at all. It is done in a very specific way for covid. Most likely you will be on assisted ventilation before this, if you even get to that point.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I once had a customer die in a taxi cab even after CPR was given,it is not actually often effective.Plus the customer should have called an ambulance in the first place and not a cab for his father.
    Some of the blame goes to insurance which won't pay for an ambulance ,so people take cab's to the hospital.But was saving $850 worth his father's life?Then again it didn't look like his father had much time left anyway.
    I think having to pay $850 for an ambulance is atrocious TBH. Any modern nation should not have such a quandary.

Would the fire service charge $850 to put out a house fire?
    edited January 2022
    verity said:
    I think having to pay $850 for an ambulance is atrocious TBH. Any modern nation should not have such a quandary.

Police/fire is considered a public service like the water or tree dept.
    An ambulance is considered healthcare,so ergo therefore either your health insurance pays it or you pay cash OOP.And no insurance will cover ambulance you pay cash OOP.

It's like a snake bite,few American snakes are really deadly unless you have anaphylactic reaction.But no insurance ever pays for anti-venine which goes for 1,500-3,000 per vial usually the more expensive Kro-Fab so the average rattlesnake bite is $60,000 cash OOP(meaning out of pocket)
    Snakes won't kill you but kill your credit rating,so forget getting a house morgage.

A pet cobra bite in Florida is cheaper because needed vials of the anti-venine goes by amount of venom injected not toxicity of venom.So two vials to mitigate a cobra bite with small amount of very toxic venom,as opposed to the 15 vials it takes to mitigate a rattlesnake bite where very large amounts of less toxic venom in injected.Only costs $5,000 to get a cobra bite.

BTW more people get bit by exotic pet cobras in Florida US than in all of Africa every year.Puff Adders are the biggest bitter in Africa
    verity said:

Search and rescue's are also pricy,people who get lost in the woods even if there leg is broken or even paralyzed,are often charged $15,000 for search and rescue expenses.
  • Even in the hospital morbidity rates are high. Medical staff can bring someone back, but they will likely die within a few weeks.

As an RN, I have seen this. 
    That is a fair to point out, the original issue though is certain groups of people are being categorised or singled out for this.

Even if the survivability is low, and the pressure on the health service high during a pandemic, I don't thing people should receive DNR on routine appointment.  Liek the deaf community for example.

This is also soemthign that can be discussed with a deaf person, and they are legally entitled to a BSL to English interpreter.