ADHD and caffeine

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
I'm curious to know how others with ADHD react to caffeine, especially other people with hyperactivity as a component to it?

I always hear that caffeine is good for people with ADHD since its a stimulant, so it should help with focus and attention. My doctor even encouraged my parents to give me small amounts of coffee as a kid to help with it, which I think is silly to think about now.

I do agree that it helps with my attention and focus, but it can kind of worsen my hyperactivity sometimes. I noticed I stim a lot more and find it even harder to hold still when I drink it. That's why I'm curious about how other people with ADHD react to it, since some swear by it, though for me it seems to have equal pros and cons to it.

Comments

  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I don't have ADHD but I never have coffee after 5 am ,keeps me up
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Statest16 said:
    I don't have ADHD but I never have coffee after 5 am ,keeps me up
    Does it keep you up if you drink it after 5 AM, or did you mean 5 PM? It does the same to me if I drink it after 5-6 PM, though if I drink it earlier I'm fine.
  • Lost_DragonLost_Dragon Citizen, Member
    I'm don't have ADHD either...well, as far as I know. It's been suggested on other forums though. 

    Anyway,  high amounts of caffeine is a no-go for me.  Stimulants appear to have the opposite effect on my body (expect sugar - that makes me go hyper). If I drink coffee, I become relaxed. My reaction time appears to slow down and my thinking becomes fuzzy.  If it's strong enough, then I tire out and fall asleep. Concentrating in that state is difficult, I zone out which is why I'd always avoid it when I needed to focus.

    I used to have coffee sometimes during stressful situations to calm my nerves or to make myself sleep when I couldn't. However, I've since cut out coffee. The weirdest experience was when I'd have something with high amounts of sugar and caffeine.  Whenever I did, I'd have the desire to run about, but physically not have the energy to do so. Then I'd zone out and have a confusing mess of overlapping thoughts. 
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Hylian said:
    Statest16 said:
    I don't have ADHD but I never have coffee after 5 am ,keeps me up
    Does it keep you up if you drink it after 5 AM, or did you mean 5 PM? It does the same to me if I drink it after 5-6 PM, though if I drink it earlier I'm fine.
    I'm really caffeine sensitive I only have it in the morning 8am absolute latest.
  • Coffee focuses my ADD but I don't drink it after 14:00 it keeps me awake. I love coffee, I shared during the last bomb attacks here that coffee calms me and so it does, it makes my thinking clearer. The first thing I do when I wake is have a cup of coffee with cream in a bright red mug and I feel on top of the world.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    ...Anyway,  high amounts of caffeine is a no-go for me.  Stimulants appear to have the opposite effect on my body (expect sugar - that makes me go hyper). If I drink coffee, I become relaxed. My reaction time appears to slow down and my thinking becomes fuzzy.  If it's strong enough, then I tire out and fall asleep. Concentrating in that state is difficult, I zone out which is why I'd always avoid it when I needed to focus...
    This is what I've heard that caffeine is supposed to do to people with ADHD. In my case it just makes me more hyper and doesn't calm me. I wish it calmed me instead of doing that. lol
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Teach51 said:
    Coffee focuses my ADD but I don't drink it after 14:00 it keeps me awake. I love coffee, I shared during the last bomb attacks here that coffee calms me and so it does, it makes my thinking clearer. The first thing I do when I wake is have a cup of coffee with cream in a bright red mug and I feel on top of the world.
    I like coffee and it's very useful for trying to focus on things, especially w/o proper ADHD meds. I probably drink a bit too much coffee just so I can focus on things now. lmao
Sign In or Register to comment.