I think I must be weird

I can use a word in context when speaking or  writing. Given a list of possible descriptions of a word I'll very often choose the right one. Comprehension skills are way above average. However if asked to describe a word I can really flounder.

Comments

  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 19
    It's interesting how everybody's brain works differently. So you would be okay with synonyms and putting in context but not describing in your own words?
    I have taught many students with ADD/ADHD , dyslexia of different types, they all had totally different capabilities. I had one student who could only understand instructions after hearing them 3 times. I always applaud the psychologist who screened him and discovered that, otherwise we would have had a much tougher time. I have always preferred emphasizing the positive and not paying too much attention to what I cannot do.
    My ASD female friend has  a vast vocabulary but cannot express their meaning in words  though she uses them in the correct context, this sounds similar firemonkey. Does this frustrate/ embarrass you?
  • Your female friend sounds very similar to me. It can be really frustrating. It can make me feel like a fraud. Like how can I do this?! - 



    Those are verbal tests.





  • Teach51 said:
     I had one student who could only understand instructions after hearing them 3 times.
    I prefer to have things written down,so I can read and reread as needed.

  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen

    It's pretty common to have learning challenges in specific areas on the spectrum and still be incredibly talented.☺
    All my ASD students and friends have ADHD, Dyslexia or Dysgraphia, one student had all three.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Teach51 said:
     I had one student who could only understand instructions after hearing them 3 times.
    I prefer to have things written down,so I can read and reread as needed.

    I think I have mentioned that I had little ability to retain and retrieve information from books as a child because of ADD, my retention was mainly experiential and television. It has improved but I still need to read things several times before I can take it all in. I still learn better from listening rather than reading so I missed a lot of good books because I get tired and don't absorb much. My cognitive intelligence isn't up to much but my emotional intelligence is high I believe but never tested it.


  • BenderBender Citizen
    A lot of people understand and are able of using words perfectly well, but struggle with definitions

    Were you ever put down, berated or accused of lying when you couldn't explain what a word means? In school maybe or even later?

     It can make me feel like a fraud.

    Think about it this way: the mere fact that you understand what you're reading and use these words correctly is actually proof you're not a fraud.

    You know, I'm aware that we probably seem very different, but I actually empathise with a lot of your posts and struggles. I also get these self-doubts, especially when I feel down. My recommendation would be to try to relax for the rest of the day and if you can talk to someone who cares about you - not necessarily about this, just a short chat to hear their voice. There's nothing like a bit of validation from someone who loves you 🌻 

  • Teach51 said:

    It's pretty common to have learning challenges in specific areas on the spectrum and still be incredibly talented.☺
    All my ASD students and friends have ADHD, Dyslexia or Dysgraphia, one student had all three.
    I think I had dysgraphia though it's never been dxed . I had to have handwriting lessons,at prep school, when I was 11-12.  Even now it's rather crudely formed , and I can't write fast. Sometimes the letters of a word will be at different levels.

  • Bender said:
    A lot of people understand and are able of using words perfectly well, but struggle with definitions

    Were you ever put down, berated or accused of lying when you couldn't explain what a word means? In school maybe or even later?

     It can make me feel like a fraud.

    Think about it this way: the mere fact that you understand what you're reading and use these words correctly is actually proof you're not a fraud.

    You know, I'm aware that we probably seem very different, but I actually empathise with a lot of your posts and struggles. I also get these self-doubts, especially when I feel down. My recommendation would be to try to relax for the rest of the day and if you can talk to someone who cares about you - not necessarily about this, just a short chat to hear their voice. There's nothing like a bit of validation from someone who loves you 🌻 

    I can't remember being put down at school for it, but have been   a few times when I've mentioned it online.

  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I have issues with this, too. I have an okay vocabulary and can use those words just fine, but if anyone asks me to define them I can't. I've had people think I am messing with them or purposely refusing to define words for them before. It's also annoyed teachers.
  • I have a hard time defining words also.

    I also perform horribly on fill-in-the-blank type questions.
  • I have a hard time defining words also.

    I also perform horribly on fill-in-the-blank type questions.

    It's not just me then?!  I have difficulty with  'What is a type of grass being with P?' type questions . My word recall doesn't  work too well at times.
Sign In or Register to comment.