Official snake thread

So by popular demand we now have a snake thread.

So people often ask what is the worlds most dangerous snake?
There are three ways to answer that.

Toxicity of venom: The "Inland Taipan" which lives also called the fierce snake or Dandarabilla and live in the central dessert of Australia.It has the lowest LD-50 rating of any snake in the world but has never killed anyone or at least a known death from it,it's only bit like three people who were all scientists and had the anti-venom with them.

How dangerous is a bit and how fast could it kill you.

This is a tie between The "Black Mamba" and the "King Cobra"   the venom is not as toxic as any of the Australian snakes like Taipans or Brown snakes but they inject more of it.A Black Mamba inject's about 400 MG of venom and it's very toxic and could kill in 20 minutes.

A King Cobra could inject 1000 MG of venom vs. and Taipan which only injects about 125 MG.

So the Black Mamba and King Cobra have the potential to kill the fastest.

Then there is most reported deaths to humans.
Saw tooth scaled viper
Which is a small snake with moderately toxic venom but a big home range from India in the east to parts of northern sub-Saharan Africa.It lives in a lot of poor countries with bad health care and there is often no anti-venom when a bite occurs and thousands die every years.

India's Russels viper is also another big killer of people too

Comments

• BenderBender Citizen
    The only venomous snakes around my parts are adders/vipers. I've seen a few, but they're not aggressive if you don't bother them.

I always liked water snakes.
  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    Bender said:
    The only venomous snakes around my parts are adders/vipers. I've seen a few, but they're not aggressive if you don't bother them.

I always liked water snakes.
    We don't have many venomous snake where I live either
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    We have vipers over here. When my son was in kindergarden a viper found its way into one of his friend's bedroom and bit her in the head while she was napping. Luckily she was heard and her life was saved. 
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Teach51 said:
    We have vipers over here. When my son was in kindergarden a viper found its way into one of his friend's bedroom and bit her in the head while she was napping. Luckily she was heard and her life was saved. 
    Good grief, how awful, I've never heard of snakes doing anything like this 😨
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen

This viper was caught in a kindergarden's animal corner in the Jordan Valley. It's massive. They come out in the summer.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited June 19
    Bender said:
    Teach51 said:
    Good grief, how awful, I've never heard of snakes doing anything like this 😨
    There are a lot of uncultivated rural areas here  between towns and neighbourhoods. Snakes love hiding in bushes, gardens and undisturbed foliage. 

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I like sea snakes.

Very adaptable snakes.

Anacondas are good.

There are some cool tree snakes.
    Jordanian horned vipers,can be quite dangerous
    There are 150 species that mimic the coral snake.

• We have coral snakes here, in the garden. They are burrowing snakes and will hide under mulch.

We also have cottonmouths and several kinds of rattlesnakes.

The pythons have not yet arrived, but they surely will. They scare me more than the venomous ones do.
    ^^^
    If your wear gloves while gardening they can't bite through gloves
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    That's a very good tip Statest.🐍
    Teach51 said:
    That's a very good tip Statest.🐍
    Only on coral snakes though,the others bite through gloves
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    I don't think we have coral snakes here....... ☺Gloves are a good idea cos we get fire ants over here and they sting like hell
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Ive never seen a wild snake, only as pets or in a zoo.

I guess its what a person is used to,  but I couldnt relax in one of my Australian cousins garden (near a creek).

I was constantly on the lookout for snakes.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Amity said:

I guess its what a person is used to,  but I couldnt relax in one of my Australian cousins garden (near a creek).

From what I understand, there are a lot more reasons to be cautious in Australia than snakes. I remember when an Australian colleague heard me saying how much it annoys me to see people killing spiders and he started laughing and told me "In Australia, people don't kill spiders, spiders kill people".
    The worst in Australia is the Box Jellyfish
    Amity said:

Ireland has 1 species of land reptile viviparous or common lizard
    edited June 21
    St Patrick....😉
    edited June 21
    Statest16 said:
    The worst in Australia is the Box Jellyfish

sure for one your chances of seeing it are low.
    slowworms are interesting too, not snakes but legless lizards.
    edited June 21
    Ireland may have some slow worms, that may have been illegal introduced in the 70s. There have been some sightings in County Clare.
  • Florida has glass snakes which are really legless lizards 
    An Ethiopian Mountain Adder just died in captivity in SA which is not good because there very  rare in the wild.
  • OliOli Citizen
    Plenty of Eastern brown snakes around my area but you don't often see the snakes themselves (you're more likely to see their discarded skins) unless you go poking under rocks and things. Leave them alone and they leave you alone. Don't leave your boots outside (or if you do, roll your socks down over the top) and don't sit on the toilet without checking under the lid first. They like hitching rides in the engine bay of cars. My neighbour had one wrap itself around his windshield wipers. But I've lived here my whole life and there's been very few people bitten. Pets are more likely to be attacked, like my lovely cat I lost a while back.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    Ack Im sorry Oli, I think I remember you speaking about your cat before, you used to take them for walks.

Yes Ive heard of much loved pets getting bitten.

Checking the toilet seat, was I thought just for the spiders...