Home Other Conditions

Having to check blood pressure

The lower figure was high when it was taken at my annual health check on Thursday- 134 99. Can't remember what the pulse was.

So far.

127 100 80
144 103 85
136 94 85
126 84 98
130 82 77
134 85 108
111 83 109
118 84 108

Comments

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I dont know much about BP, what does the list of figures mean?
  • Good question. I think normal/good is 120/80. Pre hypertension 120-139/80-89. Hypertension 140/90+ .

I know that a while back  below 140/90? was seen as normal but then they decided to say that above 120/80 was potentially bad . Mine is usually in the 120-130 range. Don't remeber the lower figure.  This is the 1st  time there's been any alarm bells sounding over it, because of the lower figure. Given how it fluctuate I'm guessing it could be 'labile hypertension'

The last month or so I've had about 4-5 hours sleep a night. That could've affected it. As could being prone to being dehydrated(Nb interoception), and chronic lower backache if I walk too far or stand too long.  I'm  going to bed at/or before midnight to get more sleep, in the hope that'll change things for the better.

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Stress can be a factor, mild exercise helps to lower blood pressure.
  • Thursday's appointment certainly triggered the health anxiety that I can be prone to. There's some mild anxiety/stress due to the Covid situation.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Sure. I have a friend with HFA and just having her BP measured is enough to raise it to 150/100.
    When she measures it herself she gets lower results. Also two or three readings are advised, and the last one is recorded.
  • This morning- 118 88 100 & 122 95 97
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    That is a healthy reading firemonkey.
  • My late afternoon BP readings were a little higher. First pulse very high = 167. Went down to 95 the second time.
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Do you get anxious when measuring? 
  • Yes- even more so since having to do  this. I can experience nervous anticipation even with something like waiting for the toast in the toaster to pop up.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Yes- even more so since having to do  this. I can experience nervous anticipation even with something like waiting for the toast in the toaster to pop up.
    This kind of thing can definitely affect the results. And if you get nervous or anxious at the doctor's office, tell him/her about it. My results are always higher when measured by my doc, because the environment makes me anxious. He usually has a chat with me to help me relax and the second readings tend to be lower.

Try to take some time to relax before measuring, like 5 to 10 min. Sit down with your back straight and your feet flat on the ground, arms resting on the table and take a few deep breaths. Think about something else, preferably something pleasant.

After monitoring my BP for several months now, it became clear that mine raises only due to stress and anxiety.
  • Thanks Bender. I'll try that.