Home General ASD

Compulsive and repetitive behaviour

Sometimes my interest in something can result in compulsive and repetitive behaviours. Usually it's for something that's free,or if paid for it's above board. I like doing online tests and can end up doing the same test several times or more.

That no doubt sounds stupid. This is the 1st time I've opened up about it.

Comments

• It's really good that you have shared this here.☺I also have my compulsive things, somehow the minute I share about them often people will say "yes me too!" I feel less frustrated with myself after that. I have mild OCD and I didn't ask for it, it's not my fault, and sometimes it even helps me retain information that my ADD misses by reading things and checking them multiple times. Congrats on your honest disclosure firemonkey, the truth shall set us free. Can you think of anything positive that results from these behaviours? Are you very thorough? That would be a really good thing.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    It doesn't sound stupid at all. I have some OCD tendencies and know exactly what you're talking about.

Sometimes such behaviours can actually be useful, especially with "practice makes perfect" type of things.
  • I can be, but mixed in with it is a lot of self doubt about my not being stupid. I have an interest in intelligence and other online tests .
  • BenderBender Citizen
    I can be, but mixed in with it is a lot of self doubt about my not being stupid. I have an interest in intelligence and other online tests .
    I'm not sure how much this helps, but you're definitely not stupid. I've been reading your posts for a while even if we didn't talk directly that much, and I'm usually someone who's rather intolerant of stupidity 😉 I've never seen a trace of it in anything you write 🙂

But self-doubt can often be irrational and anxiety-driven, so if taking tests helps you cope, there's no harm in it.

• I joined a FB group that discusses proctored and unproctored(high range tests) at the beginning of last year. A lot has to do with being a failure at so many things and wanting something I'm at least competent at.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    I play the same few video games over and over that I've played since I was a kid, and I watch the same shows over and over. I don't think that's part of my OCD-related issues, but it's certainly routine related and is repetitive.
  • I've watched episodes of the 'Law and order' series and 'NCIS' at least 20x