Do you have issues with switching activities?

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
I know that issues with this are common for people with ASD. I am wondering how many people here have those problems, and how much they affect their daily life?

I have major issues with switching between activities, even if it's minor things that I enjoy doing, like going from scrolling on a forum to playing with one of my pets. It's probably one of my worst executive dysfunctions and affects my productivity a lot.

Whenever I go to change what I'm doing it's like there's an intense feeling of reluctance and annoyance. It takes me a lot to get "settled" into what I'm doing, and I hate disrupting that and having to start it over. I honestly could be content with doing the same activity all day as long as I enjoyed it. lol

Comments

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited April 3
    I also have inertia issues to go with that: it's hard to get going, but then it's hard to stop. I often think "I'll just take a quick look at this" and get so focused that 8 hours later I realise I haven't eaten anything and I really have to go to the bathroom 

On days when I have to switch between tasks, I usually feel much more tired and get a feeling at the end of the day that I haven't actually accomplished anything, even if it's not true.

It got better in time though: having small children is like a crash course in multitasking and switching attention.
  • I have a lot of problems along those lines. Changing tasks, even when doing something I don't like and switching to something I do like...I have a difficult time with that too. 

When my chronic pain was severe, I was told to keep switching up activities and rest. I had to learn how to, for example, make my bed in the most economical way, in terms of movement, and then when I got tired, no matter at what point in the process, I was to stop and rest. 

This was difficult for me to do. I was taught to finish a task before moving on to something else, and that if you couldn't finish a task properly, you were a failure. 

It's an ongoing battle for me. 

Interestingly enough, I have surprised myself. by enjoying changing tasks. Surprised a delighted. 

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    I have a problem starting tasks and staying with that task. My ADD dupes me into starting many things simultaneously but at least I can laugh at myself when I have started making the bed, doing the dishes and  searching for something all at the same time. 
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Bender said:
    I also have inertia issues to go with that: it's hard to get going, but then it's hard to stop. I often think "I'll just take a quick look at this" and get so focused that 8 hours later I realise I haven't eaten anything and I really have to go to the bathroom 

On days when I have to switch between tasks, I usually feel much more tired and get a feeling at the end of the day that I haven't actually accomplished anything, even if it's not true.

It got better in time though: having small children is like a crash course in multitasking and switching attention.
    I also can do something all day and then realize I haven't taken care of myself at all. Sometimes people tell me they wish they could focus that intensely on things, but it's not that fun or useful. lol
    I have a lot of problems along those lines. Changing tasks, even when doing something I don't like and switching to something I do like...I have a difficult time with that too. 

When my chronic pain was severe, I was told to keep switching up activities and rest. I had to learn how to, for example, make my bed in the most economical way, in terms of movement, and then when I got tired, no matter at what point in the process, I was to stop and rest. 

This was difficult for me to do. I was taught to finish a task before moving on to something else, and that if you couldn't finish a task properly, you were a failure. 

It's an ongoing battle for me. 

Interestingly enough, I have surprised myself. by enjoying changing tasks. Surprised a delighted. 

Lately I have been trying to train myself to stop a task and take a break when I start to get frustrated, which happens easily. It's really hard, because like you said I feel like I'm failing if I can't just get it done. It's also hard because if I go do something else there's no guarantee that I'll manage to return to the task I was doing before. Sometimes I have a lot of projects and things that are left "half done" for awhile.
    Teach51 said:
    I have a problem starting tasks and staying with that task. My ADD dupes me into starting many things simultaneously but at least I can laugh at myself when I have started making the bed, doing the dishes and  searching for something all at the same time. 
    Sometimes I feel like my ADHD and autism are fighting all the time.

My ADHD always makes me really bored staying with the same task, but my autism makes it almost impossible to switch tasks. I often am doing things and am thinking to myself like, "Why are you doing this if its boring you so much? Just do something else..." and then I think "I don't really want to stop doing it though..."

It makes no sense!
  • Butterfly88Butterfly88 New Member, Member
    I do have some trouble switching activities.  As a result I tend to spend a lot of time on the computer when really I should be doing other things.  It's also hard for me when a website is down or anything doesn't go as planned.  
    I do have some trouble switching activities.  As a result I tend to spend a lot of time on the computer when really I should be doing other things.  It's also hard for me when a website is down or anything doesn't go as planned.  
    When something doesn't go as planned that can be very frustrating for me, too. I don't like disruptions to my routine, and when I have to make adjustments for appointments/outings/etc. it can ruin my day if the plans for that activity fall through.