Home General ASD

Use of the word Neurotypical

2»

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I see, to you "allistic" has a connotation that it doesn't have for me.  I'm curious to hear why it has such a connotation for you, if there's a reason for it that you can put into words.  Connotations are subjective, though usually there are specific cultural associations with a given word that can be pointed to.

The origin of the word "allistic" is the Greek word "allos," meaning "other," just as "autistic" is derived from the Greek word "autos," meaning "self."  So it seems to me that "allistic" is a natural antonym for "autistic".  Did you have a different impression of the origin of the word "allistic," or does it have some other cultural association for you unrelated to its origin?

I don't know; I don't put much stake in disability language so I don't study this stuff.Don't have much else to say on the matter,sorry.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    I started using the term allistic for two reasons: the hostility and prejudice a part of the autistic community shows towards NTs as a group, and the fact that it recognises people with other conditions like AD(H)D, who are not "neurotypical". I appreciate precission.

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited April 2021
    I am happy to be "allistic," it's nice to be all "something," I am certainly not "all there."😏

I prefer it to NT for the reasons stated by Bender. I have actually been persecuted on autistic forums as an NT though Mona P pointed out that I am not NT  because I have ADD. It's ridiculous for autistics to persecute non autistics just because they are not autistic.
    Mona also introduced me to the word allistic which I liked immediately.
  • There are neurotypical folks who are selfish—and might not quite fit the “allistic” definition.

They don’t “think of others.”
    Teach51 said:
    I am happy to be "allistic," it's nice to be all "something," I am certainly not "all there."😏

I prefer it to NT for the reasons stated by Bender. I have actually been persecuted on autistic forums as an NT though Mona P pointed out that I am not NT  because I have ADD. It's ridiculous for autistics to persecute non autistics just because they are not autistic.
    Mona also introduced me to the word allistic which I liked immediately.
    That's wrongplanet you won't find that type of hate here.Even the now defunct "Aspies for freedom" banned NT hate.
    Disability language is a lost cause so I ignore it anyway.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Statest16 said:
    Disability language is a lost cause so I ignore it anyway.
    I do understand where you're coming from. I'm often not up to date with terminology (and not just in regards to disabilities), because it's often controversial and changes pretty fast.

I like this particular term for purely pragmatic reasons.
    You can't even say "retarded" anymore,you have to intellectual disability.
    But what is more derogatory "retarded"(a little slowed down) or "intellectually disabled" which implies an inability to think.Today people with Downs Syndrome go to college have have white collar professions, they just think a little slower.I never went to college or had a white collar job but I have an IQ of 128,I have a friend with an IQ of 155 but he barely can pay his bills.

The whole thing is so stupid,it's the higher up's in the disability movement who are really intellectually disabled 😁
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    I think it is becuase retarded isn't an actuate/full description of intellectual disability or learning disability in many cases. Slow cognition is often  a misleading way to think of learning disabilities in general, which can involve specific functional differences and needs.

If the human brain worked like a computer processor, you might say that, but it doesn't.
    General reminder: Please stick to criticising ideas only, we don't want this to turn into mudslinging.

I understand there are grievances or differences of opinion within the disability movement, but lets keep it cordial. Thank you 🙂
    verity said:
    I think it is becuase retarded isn't an actuate/full description of intellectual disability or learning disability in many cases. Slow cognition is often  a misleading way to think of learning disabilities in general, which can involve specific functional differences and needs.

If the human brain worked like a computer processor, you might say that, but it doesn't.
    Maybe so, but that's sort of the point,I view language as less important, it's importance put on the technical that's the problem.If a person uses person first language toward me it would not bother me at all I would not care.
    verity said:
    General reminder: Please stick to criticising ideas only, we don't want this to turn into mudslinging.

I understand there are grievances or differences of opinion within the disability movement, but lets keep it cordial. Thank you 🙂
    Not sure where a rule was violated on this thread,sorry about the Firemonkey thread though,was just having fun.
    Just making a reminder to stick to ideas.
  • Neurotypical pretty much means a typical brain so by definition I would think someone with a mental illness would not be neurotypical.