Home General ASD

Loud speech

Saw some details re  when I had someone from a care agency coming into keep the place clean. Apparently  I speak very loudly, and yet my experience is that quite often people mishear what I say. Too soft ? Bad diction? Yet to me the words that I'm speaking seem to be clear and distinct . Also that I can get  very animated.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    I'm obnoxious but not overly loud
  • Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited March 2021
    Statest16 said:
    I'm obnoxious but not overly loud
    ☺Quietly obnoxious?
  • I on the other hand can be very loud and am often told to tone it down. 
  • My voice is like a child's. When someone phones to market something they ask me if my mother is home so I usually say no she's not.
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I know someone who is partially deaf and when they are uncomfortable or nervous their voice deepens, I think its part of regulating their emotional communication.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    Amity said:
    I know someone who is partially deaf and when they are uncomfortable or nervous their voice deepens, I think its part of regulating their emotional communication.
    Interesting. After losing some hearing (it's not too bad yet, I can compensate well with the good ear), people have been telling me that my voice got (even) quieter/lower. I didn't realise or did it on purpose, but now we all go "what?" about the same amount 😁

I have a very hard time around loud people, there's an acquaintance I avoid only due to their laugh - it's nothing personal, I just can't bear it.