Home General ASD

Your favorite books about autism (or Aspergers)?

Yesterday I posted the following on WP, and I've decided it would probably be a good question to ask here too.

Are there any nonfiction books about autism (or Aspergers) that you think are especially worth reading?

I'm planning to create a list of books for a forthcoming page on my website. I would like to list books in all of the following categories (and perhaps others as well):

1) Books by autistic people.
2) Books by therapists.
3) Books about the history of the autism community and/or the history of the idea of autism and relevant sicience.

For categories #1 and #2 above, I am primarily interested in books intended to be helpful to adults on the autism spectrum, and perhaps also a few books for spouses/partners thereof. (I am less interested in books aimed at parents, although I might include a few especially good books of that kind as well, if they are also useful to autistic adults.)

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    The "Nobody Nowhere" trilogy by Donna Williams
    Nobody Nowhere
    Somebody Somewhere
    Like color to the blind

Williams had three other good books as well especially "Autism and sensing the unlost instinct" The Nobody Nowhere autobiographic trilogy was really great.
  • Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robison 
    Magna said:
    Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robison 
    I got a hand autographed copy of that from JE Robison,I met him when I used to get my car serviced by him around 2011.
  • I don't mean to spell out the obvious, but some books that I have found helpful are:

Tony Attwood's The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome 

Autism and Asperger Syndrome (The Facts) by Simon Baron-Cohen

Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum: A Self-help Guide Using CBT by Lee Wilkinson 

Tim Page's memoir Parallel Play
  • Statest16 said:
    Magna said:
    Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robison 
    I got a hand autographed copy of that from JE Robison,I met him when I used to get my car serviced by him around 2011.
    Very cool.  He seems like an interesting person.  
    Lets not forget the great "Thinking in Pictures" by TG

There was also a book called "Soon will come the light" by Thomas Mckean
  • Thanks to everyone for all the book recommendations.  (So far, I'm getting more replies here than on WP.)

• Three of my favourites.   I have another book or two downstairs, so I'll go check shortly.   I can't remember the names. 

My daughter really enjoyed the Hendrickx book as well. 
    Isabella said:

Three of my favourites.   I have another book or two downstairs, so I'll go check shortly.   I can't remember the names. 

My daughter really enjoyed the Hendrickx book as well. 
    I read Autism and sensing the unlost instinct,I read all of Williams books
  • IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited February 2021

I checked my books and this ^ is another one I own.  I recall that I didn't finish reading it, and found it boring or repetitive (I can't remember the reason).

I'd like to read this one:

"Wendy Lawson has an autism spectrum disorder. Considered to be intellectually disabled and 'almost incapable of doing as she is told' at school, she was later misdiagnosed as schizophrenic - a label that stuck with her for more than 25 years.

Her sense of self was then non-existent, but Wendy is now a mother of four with two university degrees; she is a social worker and adult educator, and operates her own business. She is also a poet and a writer, sharing her understanding of autism with others to help 'build a bridge from my world to theirs'. Life Behind Glass is part of that bridge."  

(from Amazon)