Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Anybody Have Any Experience Of Alpha Stim or Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation.

Has anybody had cranial electrotherapy stimulation for anxiety , insomnia or depression?

I've been looking into it but an alpha stim unit is around £500 - yikes

I remember Markness mentioning it a while ago or that might of been something different

Comments

• Markness had TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) and I remember he said it was expensive. Maybe he could chip in when he shows up.

Nice to see you again BTW :)
  • Save_FerrisSave_Ferris Citizen, Member
    Cheers Bender

Ah my bad , now you said that I remember it was TMS lol
  • Bender said:
    Markness had TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) and I remember he said it was expensive. Maybe he could chip in when he shows up.

Thanks, Bender. On Aspies Central, someone brought up I was going to at the time hopefully have it performed despite not posting there I was going to at the time hopefully get it and it surprised me. I never got a clear answer who did it other than it was “chatters” from Whacky Podunk (I am sure you know what I mean by that). Could it have been you? Or was it Ferris? Good to see you, by the way.

Yes, it was expensive and it’s not covered by medical insurance because there is no guarantee it will work for everyone. Both of my parents are doctors who make a lot of money (But not enough to be millionaires despite what a lot of people assume.) and they agreed that one would pay half and so would the other for me. 

Before the treatment actually starts, the doctors will “map” your head by testing the pulses through your skull to see where they react the most positively in your brain. This can change during the course of the treatment. Your face will twitch due to how your nerves so that is normal. After that, you will sit in a chair and have the device affixed to your head for 45 minutes to an hour getting the full procedure of magnetic pulses. Many have likened the pulses to a woodpecker tapping on your head. You also have to be as still as you can and not nod off. If the pulses are too loud, you can request ear plugs and you are allowed to take pain medicine if they give you a headache. 
    For about three months, I had to go in nearly every week day to get this done. I was told after getting the treatment to not take naps or sleep until two or maybe three hours had passed because they wanted my neural pathways to stay active and create new connections. Exercise or anything that keeps one active was highly recommended. 

How did it affect me? Well, my ability to cry became “unlocked” after being generally unable to do so for many years. I cried that I was lonely during the lockdowns, I cried while driving to meet my younger brother and sister-in-law after not seeing them for a week, and I mourned for an uncle who had passed away from cancer eight years ago. I also had feelings of peace during the middle of the day just because and wasn’t bothered by anything. Did I still feel depressed and have anxiety? Absolutely but regaining the ability to cry was worth it. 

• Markness said:
    Bender said:
    Markness had TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) and I remember he said it was expensive. Maybe he could chip in when he shows up.
    Thanks, Bender. On Aspies Central, someone brought up I was going to at the time hopefully have it performed despite not posting there I was going to at the time hopefully get it and it surprised me. I never got a clear answer who did it other than it was “chatters” from Whacky Podunk (I am sure you know what I mean by that). Could it have been you? Or was it Ferris? Good to see you, by the way.

I don't think it was me, but I don't remember for sure. The thing is that it's easy to get overwhelmed by and concentrate on loud, negative voices and people, but behind those, a lot of people actually cared a lot about what was going on with you (and others) and wished to see things getting better.

It's not always easy for us to express empathy, especially when drowned by vocal nay-sayers, but I think a lot of people truly care when they see someone in so much pain. It's a bit easier to actually say something here because the place is smaller and more informal 😉

How did it affect me? Well, my ability to cry became “unlocked” after being generally unable to do so for many years. I cried that I was lonely during the lockdowns, I cried while driving to meet my younger brother and sister-in-law after not seeing them for a week, and I mourned for an uncle who had passed away from cancer eight years ago. I also had feelings of peace during the middle of the day just because and wasn’t bothered by anything. Did I still feel depressed and have anxiety? Absolutely but regaining the ability to cry was worth it. 

I used to get hit as a child if I cried so I can't cry anymore, but I found other methods of release. Emotional release is extremly important and it's very dangerous to live without an emotional "valve".

Have you ever looked into CPTSD? The constant toxicity and abuse you suffered more or less your whole life, along with the constrictive and unhealthy environment you're stuck in would make you a possible candidate. 

Complex-PTSD is PTSD which is more complex. This means that trauma was experienced over a significant period of time without a chance of escape and usually as part of an interpersonal relationship whilst developing in childhood.

Someone suffering from Complex-PTSD might have the same symptoms as someone suffering from PTSD but with additional symptoms. These symptoms might include experience of: Feeling permanently damaged, feeling shame, feeling ineffective, feeling under constant threat, withdrawing socially, despair, hostility and feeling different in terms of the person that they were before experiencing the trauma. Someone might also experience serious disturbance in self-organisation. Examples might include affect regulation, perception of self, a negative self-concept and dysfunction in managing interpersonal relationships.

https://traumapractice.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-ptsd-complex-ptsd/

A few of us here were diagnosed with it, and we used to be as supportive as we could of each other before this site was created. We have a thread about it and people shared some resources and their own stories. You could take a look to see if you feel any of it would apply to you too.

https://neurovoice.org/discussion/205/complex-trauma-disorder/p1

edited February 2021
    Markness said:
    Bender said:

Yes, it was expensive and it’s not covered by medical insurance because there is no guarantee it will work for everyone. Both of my parents are doctors who make a lot of money (But not enough to be millionaires despite what a lot of people assume.) and they agreed that one would pay half and so would the other for me. 

Before the treatment actually starts, the doctors will “map” your head by testing the pulses through your skull to see where they react the most positively in your brain. This can change during the course of the treatment. Your face will twitch due to how your nerves so that is normal. After that, you will sit in a chair and have the device affixed to your head for 45 minutes to an hour getting the full procedure of magnetic pulses. Many have likened the pulses to a woodpecker tapping on your head. You also have to be as still as you can and not nod off. If the pulses are too loud, you can request ear plugs and you are allowed to take pain medicine if they give you a headache. 
    For about three months, I had to go in nearly every week day to get this done. I was told after getting the treatment to not take naps or sleep until two or maybe three hours had passed because they wanted my neural pathways to stay active and create new connections. Exercise or anything that keeps one active was highly recommended. 

Blimey , nice post , you seem more positive in your writing if nothing else.
    There is no way I can get TMS done in my country so I'll have to opt for a DIY method and CES seemed like a good alternative.

I've even seen an Instructables on making your own CES machine so I may go that route.

• LOL! That’s hilarious, Ferris! Good luck! 😉

I probably do have complex PTSD, Bender. I honestly get flashback-like episodes when I am at places where bad memories were born in my mind. 
  • TemTem Citizen
    Is this the magnetic pulsed kind or direct current type?

There are clear differences and both need a lot of research to make an informed choice.

• Tem said:

There are clear differences and both need a lot of research to make an informed choice.

I believe Ferris was referring to the former and that is what I underwent. 
    Markness said:
    LOL! That’s hilarious, Ferris! Good luck! 😉

Thanks dude :)

Tem said:

I want to try CES not TMS , I saw it on ' The Truth About '

It's a pulsed alternating current that supposedly increases alpha waves in the brain.

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    edited February 2021

Just wanted to let you know the US dept of fish and wildlife has cloned the highly endangered  Black Footed Ferret and the species is saved.

Thought you'd be happy

Wow , that's impressive but I have mixed feelings about cloning.

Can you imagine if certain people from a certain website were cloned 🤯

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

Wow , that's impressive but I have mixed feelings about cloning.

Can you imagine if certain people from a certain website were cloned 🤯

LOL