Home General ASD

Even the highly intelligent can hold negative views about ASD

A comment just made on a Facebook group I  go on to another member.

"Do you understand that constantly vomiting senseless autistic perspectives will incentivize people to ignore everything you say?"

Comments

• Sounds like someone who just wants to spew forth crap.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    Sounds like someone who likes to be the centre of attention, but is projecting.

I would not respond, that is what they want.
  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    Is this the same person that gave you crap for your scores on a test? Can you report this guy to any group admins?

• Hylian said:
    Is this the same person that gave you crap for your scores on a test? Can you report this guy to any group admins?
    It's not the same person. He's usually  a reasonable person , but  for some reason a lot of otherwise reasonable people  have less than positive views about autism.

I've posted a polite request for terms like 'autistic' not to be used when criticising people.

• Good for you, Firemonkey.  It seems to be somewhat prevalent in cyberspace for NTs to use autism as a derogatory term.  For example, I've seen people comment on online things and someone else will respond by saying something like:  "The autism is strong in this one." 
  • @Magna I've seen that kind of thing too.  What a lot of people know about autism could be written on a  sticky note.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited February 2021
    I have heard it as a derogatory term, but also as a supposed power (which you could argue is a negative/positive).
    e.g. "weaponized autism", "pure autist"
    I have heard people n the spectrum identify humourlessly with such terms.
  • OliOli Citizen
    Does that person understand by making that comment they just negated their own argument?
  • AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
    I think that individual dispositions or personality drive these judgements more than intelligence.
  • I’m glad Firemonkey advocated for himself in a smart way.
  • @Amity You could very well be right
    @kraftiekortie   I'd have reacted a lot worse if off meds.

• I’m glad you reacted the way you did.
  • I work a lot with people that are considered highly intellegent, Dr's and those educated to PHD level and often hear negative stereotyped views. Level of intelligence is no guarantee against lazy thinking and judgmental or discriminatory tendencies.