Home General ASD

I've not been in a cafe or shop since last March

I've not been in a cafe or shop for nearly a year. I used to go with my stepdaughter to do a main shop in a nearby town. I'd occasionally get a few bits at the smaller local supermarket. My stepdaughter or a granddaughter does my main shop now. I'm too anxious to go into my local supermarket(and other shops) because of the regulations. Not because I disagree with them, but because I'm fearful of inadvertently breaking them . My judgement when it comes to distance is poor. The thought of being harangued/shouted at by another customer very strong .

Comments

• Yeah, same here and haven't been to a restaurant in much longer, I miss it.

I do go to the supermarket for fresh produce, even if it causes me some anxiety. Regarding distance, you can use a trolley/shopping cart and keep that between you and the next person when in line. Here, nobody is going to say anything if you pass someone a bit closer as long as you don't stay really close to people.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

For most of the pandemic I used to be able to do a click and collect for my shopping and get everything for 3 weeks/month in one bulk buy, but thats changed now, the only click and collect shop available is far too expensive.
    I do an early morning supermarket shop and buy almost the same quantities as before but I'm super organised and there are no delays, no deviations from my list, I wear KN95 masks and use a heap of alcohol gel. I hate supermarkets at the best of times, so these visits are as streamlined as humanly possible.

During the summer and at the beginning of the easing on restrictions I booked a table in a restaurant and it was such a treat.

I find cafes to be too noisy generally, and usually avoid them.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I go to the store with my brother or his girlfriend sometimes to help them, but it gives me anxiety because I'm not good with spatial awareness and trying to pay attention to where I'm walking so I don't go near people disorients me. If I haven't been in a store before it's worse, and seeing people not wearing masks or having them under their nose freaks me out. They have gone out to eat (where they can eat outside) before but I don't think I'd go with them if they wanted me to do that.

• I fully understand the spatial awareness factor. A lot of people will judge first, and perhaps try to understand much later(if at all).

• I hope someone could take you to a shop soon.

• TemTem Citizen

I got rid of my car because it was more of a burden as time went on without use.
    Not going out means I was going to be paying for something sat there decaying.
    At present I am aware of how this wave of the virus is more contagious and more fatal so not going to a shop does not bother me too much. It is essential that we are patient.
    My friend brought me my medication today and it was lovely to see her face, or her eyes, again. It did remind me of our time together and meals out. Not been to a restaurant for well over a year. She was happy to get out of the house.
    My concern is for getting too used to this new way of living and not wanting to go back to how things were.

@Tem said:
    My concern is for getting too used to this new way of living and not wanting to go back to how things were.

My way of life didn't change a whole lot, but I have gotten a bit too comfortable not having to go to appointments or run certain errands, and being able to do certain things online that you normally can't. I'm unsure how I'm going to adjust when we eventually have to do things "normally".

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited January 2021

I haven't been in a cafe or restaurant since 2019. They aren't even open. I made one quick dash into a supermarket in the summer. MD was having blood tests next door and I wasn't allowed to enter the building with her. It was too hot to wait in the car so I went in a supermarket which seemed surreal with many sections cordoned off, and everyone under such obvious distress.

I've been doing online shopping for years so I'm accustomed to it. My biggest stressor has been attending so many doctors and surgeries for MD, my mother and more recently myself. Hospitals are overwhelming at the best of times for sensory reasons, but during Covid it was quite unnerving.

The vaccine isn't available here and we are still in emergency lockdown. MD said today that she's so young, she likely won't remember much of "pre-Covid life" in the future, compared to my generation. We both agree that it already seems strange to watch group gatherings, or friends embracing, in older movies or on TV. It's a subtle shift in our consciousness day to day as we transition to this new normal.

It's heartbreaking, really.

@Isabella said:
    The vaccine isn't available here and we are still in emergency lockdown. MD said today that she's so young, she likely won't remember much of "pre-Covid life" in the future, compared to my generation. We both agree that it already seems strange to watch group gatherings, or friends embracing, in older movies or on TV. It's a subtle shift in our consciousness day to day as we transition to this new normal.

Whenever I see people in public on shows/movies/old news segments not wearing masks I am baffled for a few seconds until I realize it's older. My brain is already finding masks and social distancing "normal", which is surreal.

• TemTem Citizen

@Hylian said:

@Tem said:

My way of life didn't change a whole lot, but I have gotten a bit too comfortable not having to go to appointments or run certain errands, and being able to do certain things online that you normally can't. I'm unsure how I'm going to adjust when we eventually have to do things "normally".

For some of us this will become our new normal if we are more comfortable with it.
    Thinking about it, I imagine it will be more acceptable too after what the world would have been through.
    This isn't going to end all of a sudden and go back so I may just sit with that idea and get used to my own personal norm.